Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

Flag topper

Article about: Saw this while in Ohio, in an antique store. I would like opinions on whether or not it's an authentic piece, if anyone could tell me from the picture, I would appreciate it! Thanks

inaneone
    ?

Default Flag topper

Saw this while in Ohio, in an antique store. I would like opinions on whether or not it's an authentic piece, if anyone could tell me from the picture, I would appreciate it! Thanks
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Flag topper  

2. # ADS

Default Re: Flag topper

Looks ok to me IMO. Would like better pics though

Eric
    Flag topperFlag topper
    [h=3]e plu·ri·bus u·num[/h]

It appears to be a genuine period pole top. Does it have any markings on the shaft?
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

I'm with Eric and Bob, from the photos presented, it looks to be a period piece. It's seems unusual that the detail is very good with the exception of the leaves around the swas. Could just be the photo. You're becoming a computer geek Eric, very nice how you enlarged the photos.

Jay
    Last edited by sitges1990; 11-22-2011 at 05:38 AM. Reason: Didn't see Bob's comment

inaneone
    ?

Unfortunately, this piece was behind glass.... so we couldn't get better close ups to see any markings, etc... (I was in no position to drop cash down right there and then for it, or I would have.)

I thought it odd to see in a very small town antique store, until I realized that it could have been a war trophy. Maybe a soldier from that area brought it back with him, and when he passed away his family found it in his belongings. Most people would be a bit put off by that, so they probably sold it. Is this common with Nazi paraphernalia? I'm not sure if soldiers brought 'souvenirs' like this back with them. Possible?

This is VERY common. Soldiers loved to bring souvenirs home, especially like this.

Quote by inaneone View Post

I thought it odd to see in a very small town antique store, until I realized that it could have been a war trophy. Maybe a soldier from that area brought it back with him, and when he passed away his family found it in his belongings. Most people would be a bit put off by that, so they probably sold it. Is this common with Nazi paraphernalia? I'm not sure if soldiers brought 'souvenirs' like this back with them. Possible?
    American soldiers brought back great amounts of 3rd Reich material after the war. Many, who had their own business enterprises proudly would display their souvenirs in the front window of their shops. This was very common to see in the years following the war. The coming of political correctness made such practices outdated. The items were looked upon at one time as artifacts of pride representing service fighting and victory over the evil of Nazism.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

Impressive looking bird.
    Well worth the dough IMO, but I'd try to talk them down some !

Notice the two different types of mounts - where the bottom
    part of the wreath is attached to the shaft - in Eric's
    comparison photo.........
    Regards,

Steve.

It's a lovely looking piece, but a tad expensive i think

From the limited photo it appears genuine, but I agree with John re the price.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!