MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

German Banner - Weimar Republic or 1949-present

Article about: I picked this banner up after work today it is 12-14' long and about 4-6' wide. It looks like it is of older construction but I am not sure if it would be of the later Weimar era or post 194

Default German Banner - Weimar Republic or 1949-present

I picked this banner up after work today it is 12-14' long and about 4-6' wide. It looks like it is of older construction but I am not sure if it would be of the later Weimar era or post 1949? Is there any way to date it on its construction since there are no markings?
    Thanks in advance
    German Banner - Weimar Republic or 1949-presentGerman Banner - Weimar Republic or 1949-presentGerman Banner - Weimar Republic or 1949-presentGerman Banner - Weimar Republic or 1949-present

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement German Banner - Weimar Republic or 1949-present
    P
    Many

Wiith the yellow color, it is definitely post war. The yellow replaced white used during the Weimar Republic.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

?

Quote by BOB COLEMAN View Post
    Wiith the yellow color, it is definitely post war. The yellow replaced white used during the Weimar Republic.
    It was my understanding that the white color was used during the Empire period, then yellow during the Weimar Republic era, then white again during the Third Reich (before it was replaced by the party flag), then yellow again from 1949 through today. Was that only for naval vessels or some such? Sorry if this is a dumb question.

I'm pretty sure Erno is right here. The white replace the yellow only in the previous imperial flags and early TR flags. The Black, red, and gold is correct for the Weimar republic, so it could be a Pre WWII piece, but its unlikely. Hopefully another member will know more about dating these tricolour flags.

?

Not being contentious.
    Do you have any color images of the yellow black and red Weimar period flags ? I am like Bob I have always thought the national colors were red, black and white until 1945.

Have you ever seen any colour pictures from the Weimar Republic at all? The red gold and black tricolour was selected after the first world war. It was based off the flag of the unsuccessful attempt to unite all of germany in 1849 called the Frankfurt Constitution. This tricolour became the National flag of Weimar Germany excluding the state of Waldeck, which continued to use the white flag.

Also here is a picture of a 1932 election poster for some monarchist party that says "Let the old flag fly" although not explicitly showing the gold flag, but suggests that a flag(the gold tricolour) had replaced the imperial flag.
    German Banner - Weimar Republic or 1949-present

?

From what I've read, red, white and black were chosen as the colors of the Nazi party banner because they represented the old flag of the empire, rather than the flag of the weakened Germany of the Weimar era.

Flag of Germany - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    The yellow tricolor was used by the 1919-33 Weimar Government and the post 1949 Federal republic of Germany Both. Judging by it's materials and construction, I would lean towards this piece being a Weimar era flag.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Quote by Wagriff View Post
    Flag of Germany - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    The yellow tricolor was used by the 1919-33 Weimar Government and the post 1949 Federal republic of Germany Both. Judging by it's materials and construction, I would lean towards this piece being a Weimar era flag.
    I was leaning that way as well but I am no expert on flags.

I am still confused since I read in many sources about the yellow replacing the white during the later Weimar period and it looks similar to earlier banner / flag construction, but I know that Mr Coleman knows a lot about flags?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast