Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Gold Fringe Orts Banner Vet signed!!!

Article about: Hi All, I just picked up this Ortsgruppe Meerhof Flag, it is signed by over 100 men, this will be a major research project, the fringe is gold not the standard silver, and it has clips inste

Default Gold Fringe Orts Banner Vet signed!!!

Hi All,
    I just picked up this Ortsgruppe Meerhof Flag, it is signed by over 100 men, this will be a major research project, the fringe is gold not the standard silver, and it has clips instead of rings, it has some holes and staining (looks like blood but I cant imagine it being so) but I love the been there look to it, have you ever seen so many signatures on a flag?? this thing is loaded!! opinions and comments are always welcome!!
    Thank you for looking!!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Gold Fringe Orts Banner Vet signed!!!   Gold Fringe Orts Banner Vet signed!!!  

Gold Fringe Orts Banner Vet signed!!!   Gold Fringe Orts Banner Vet signed!!!  

Gold Fringe Orts Banner Vet signed!!!  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Gold Fringe Orts Banner Vet signed!!!
    P
    Many

Nice flag with an interesting story literally written right on it!
    The stains look to me to be simply rust.

Yes probably rust or something along those lines, it's actually one small stain that most likely occurred while the flag was folded and stored away, it soaked through, so now when opened it made four small stains.

So I counted 117 names on this flag, traced a few back, 109 infantry also 397, most were in the battle of the buldge, one man received 4 bronze stars, another was a rescued POW. Thats only the tip of the iceberg as far as research, alot of names have dead ends which is frustrating. The flag came from the estate of a 93 yr old vet who recently passed. What a great piece of history fully signed by the true heroes of WW2.

The gold fringe is an oddity. The regulation Ortsgruppen flags had silver fringe. I am sure there is some reason this is gold. It may be a mystery lost to history.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

Thanks for chiming in Bob, I was looking through Jeff Clarks book for examples and saw your name for one of the photo credits!!! anyway, yes definitely a non standard flag.
    I added more photo's, the fringe is positively gold and not a toned silver, it has snap clips instead of pole rings, the signed side is the front side as the back shows the flag ends folded over for stitching, maybe it hung in the town hall and wasnt a parade type flag, thus the gold? but then others would be seen also, I do not mind calling this one deluxe or rare!!!
    One of the signatures has an inscription that simply states "On the house!" not sure of that meaning, also here is the grave marker for one of the signed names that I located. thank you for looking and your input!!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Gold Fringe Orts Banner Vet signed!!!   Gold Fringe Orts Banner Vet signed!!!  

"On the house" likely means it is a free gift from the owner. Sad to see the young man whose grave stone you showed did not live even to his 34th birthday.
    BOB

You are indeed a lucky man to be caretaker of such a piece of history. Thankfully it has found a home with someone who respects it as the memorial to the names on it that it is. Well done!

Quote by BOB COLEMAN View Post
    The gold fringe is an oddity. The regulation Ortsgruppen flags had silver fringe. I am sure there is some reason this is gold. It may be a mystery lost to history.
    Bob,
    Do you believe it could be oxidation? I have seen silver cord/bullion turn gold from time to time.
    Sydney

Quote by Squidney86 View Post
    Bob,
    Do you believe it could be oxidation? I have seen silver cord/bullion turn gold from time to time.
    Sydney
    When I first saw the pictures that was my first thought. From the pictures alone, the fringe does appear to be gold. The flag is early as it has attachment clips in lieu of rings. It is known that early political pieces of all kinds exist that do not follow the rules for construction. That is likely the case with this piece.
    BOB

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast