Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

I'm new so bear with me

Article about: I think I'm getting the hang of this ... just posted some poor pictures of a helmet and now will try what I think are trumpet banners. The 31 st regiment one has me interested the most. Two

Default Re: I'm new so bear with me

Welcome to the forum. Your pieces are excellent examples of original pieces that speak for themselves. I do not think further close up pics would serve any purpose as both are unquestionable period items.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement I'm new so bear with me
    P
    Many

Thank you for the reply and welcome.

Maybe you could give me a little lesson here. I'm still not sure what to call those two pieces. Trumpet banner, banner or flag. I guess the one sided piece would not be displayed on a trumpet but it has a clasp on either end and a fabric hoop in the center so to me it doesn't look like it would hang on a wall.
    Figure since I have them I should know a little something about them.

Rudy

I would guess that that one, (the non-trumpet one) would most closely qualify as a "Standard". They were attached to a pole type carrier, and would be displayed at the front of a formation of a unit, especially during a parade.

Boridin

OK, works for me. So a pole with a horizontal bar to attach it to. Makes sense, the guys marching behind don't need to see it.

If that regimental one is a trumpet banner I feel sorry for any man that had to hold it up for long. It has to weigh a few pounds. Add that to the weight of the trumpet and it's going to make for some sore arms.

Thanks and Happy New Year
    Rudy

...or a very strong dude!

Quote by Rudolf Karl View Post
    OK, works for me. So a pole with a horizontal bar to attach it to. Makes sense, the guys marching behind don't need to see it.

If that regimental one is a trumpet banner I feel sorry for any man that had to hold it up for long. It has to weigh a few pounds. Add that to the weight of the trumpet and it's going to make for some sore arms.

Thanks and Happy New Year
    Rudy

Quote by RedHorseman25 View Post
    ...or a very strong dude!
    ...or a very scared dude that knew if he let it drop his *ss was grass.

As you lknow, the Infantry Regimental piece is a trumpet banner. Can you give us a size on the second piece? I would not consider it to be a standarte as it does not conform in design and pattern to any known examples. It could possibly be from a schellenbaum or jingle johnny, which were carried in marching bands. If not too large, this is a possibility.
    BOB

Quote by BOB COLEMAN View Post
    As you lknow, the Infantry Regimental piece is a trumpet banner. Can you give us a size on the second piece? I would not consider it to be a standarte as it does not conform in design and pattern to any known examples. It could possibly be from a schellenbaum or jingle johnny, which were carried in marching bands. If not too large, this is a possibility.
    The approximate size in inches is 17" wide X 18.5" without the fringe. The frings length is about 1".
    Back side is solid white with A79.18.14 on upper right corner.

Quote by Rudolf Karl View Post
    The approximate size in inches is 17" wide X 18.5" without the fringe. The frings length is about 1".
    Back side is solid white with A79.18.14 on upper right corner.
    The size would meet the criteria for a schellenbaum flag. However, we will likely never know for sure as it is likely a one of a kind piece.
    BOB

How strange is this? I did a google and found a little on "schellenbaum" yet I called my father and he had no clue. He did ask if I got stupid and didn't remember that 'baum' was a tree. Love that guy.
    He went on to his vacation in Russia and the final return home so I'm thinking at 83 that's not in the forefront of his memory. I go through this a lot ... all of a sudden "Oh, I remember what your talking about".

I asked today if he would either write down or record his experiences but he was not to interested. Saying he wanted to forget .... as he went on and on to days he thought he would die.

Rudy

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast