Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Large Flag Vet bringback and signed!!!!

Article about: It is interesting how these signed flags have changed in the collector community as to historical value. When I started collecting, WW2 was not that distant a memory. Flags were one of the m

?

Default Re: Large Flag Vet bringback and signed!!!!

Quote by maximus71 View Post
    Good idea slados, I will call him tonight or tomorrow and see if he wants me to mail him some photos, hell if I get time this summer I would go meet him with the flag if he wanted, he is only 4 hours from me.
    Oh btw I already have his address, its on the flag!
    Do it mate as soon as possible , sadly the clock is ticking on all our WW2 Vets !!
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Large Flag Vet bringback and signed!!!!
    P
    Many

Actually meeting up with him sounds even better --- 4 hours for this purpose is a walk in the park! A few pics with the Vet "reunited" with the flag would also be really cool to see--

Good idea slados, I will call him tonight or tomorrow and see if he wants me to mail him some photos, hell if I get time this summer I would go meet him with the flag if he wanted, he is only 4 hours from me.
    Oh btw I already have his address, its on the flag!
    He said that that was his old address- where he lived at the time.

By the way, tread lightly when you call. His wife is the one who answered the phone and she hung up on me literally the second I said that I was a military antique collector. I had to call back and tell her that I wasn't looking for something, but that I came across an item that belonged to him. lol... She wasn't too thrilled either way for some reason.

please post your meeting with him if possible. he might have some stories for you.
    great find!!!!

John
    I specialize in M1 carbines and Lugers.

Haha getting hung up on is the reason I usually dont bother with the research, go figure, all the battles he fought in and me getting past his wife will be the biggest one lol.

?

Very very interesting development.

Well I contacted the vet and explained what I had and his name was on it, he mentioned the other fella "mo" told him some of the other names but he didnt recognize them after all these years, he also claimed he didnt know what this was all about? lol poor guy, so without causing him any unsettling feelings I just thanked him for his time serving this country and that I would keep the flag displayed to honor him and and his friends, he said he is happy to know that his name is on it with the other guys, I offered to mail him photo's but he said no thank you, so I thanked him for his time once again and said goodbye......not a fairy tale ending but still nice to talk with him. Funny how sometimes we get so excited about an item or that era/war and the people who were actually there dont care half as much as we do now, which can be understandable.

Oh well, it was worth the effort! There's still a lot of other names on there though

Well I contacted the vet and explained what I had and his name was on it, he mentioned the other fella "mo" told him some of the other names but he didnt recognize them after all these years, he also claimed he didnt know what this was all about? lol poor guy, so without causing him any unsettling feelings I just thanked him for his time serving this country and that I would keep the flag displayed to honor him and and his friends, he said he is happy to know that his name is on it with the other guys, I offered to mail him photo's but he said no thank you, so I thanked him for his time once again and said goodbye......not a fairy tale ending but still nice to talk with him. Funny how sometimes we get so excited about an item or that era/war and the people who were actually there dont care half as much as we do now, which can be understandable.
    If I was a vet and someone had called me with this information I would have ruined my pantaloons... haha

He told me the he was "glad to live on through history as an antique!"

I am slowly searching some names. so far a few I found passed away, One of the names has a T/S before it, would that be for Tech Sargeant? another has L.R.S before it, also there is a B.A.R that isnt near a name, not sure if its someone's intitial's or stands for something else.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast