Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Large Flag Vet bringback and signed!!!!

Article about: It is interesting how these signed flags have changed in the collector community as to historical value. When I started collecting, WW2 was not that distant a memory. Flags were one of the m

?

Default Re: Large Flag Vet bringback and signed!!!!

Nice flag, the signatures are right as rain.

I acquired a podium banner with thirty some odd signatures with hometowns and the day, year, and place. I've researched a few, but never attempted to contact anyone who signed it. A few years prior I acquired a named and serial numbered Captains helmet and after researching him, found he was 107 years and living in NJ. I thought better about trying to contact a 107 year old. I believe he died a year or so later.

I have mixed emotions about trying to contact individuals, especially as they convalesce. You have to ask yourself, "Am I doing it for them.....or me?" If I acquire something directly from a vet or his family, I always make every effort to record anything they are willing to share. At any rate, at least you found out the unit associated with the signatures, that is a win in itself - very cool!
    Regards,
    John

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Large Flag Vet bringback and signed!!!!
    P
    Many

Here is the grave marker for one of the names on my flag, everything matches up with the other vet info, K company 377th Inf. Reg. 95th Inf. Div. He was awarded a Bronze Star.

I am a firm believer that while you should respect any veterans wishes, knowledge should certainly be the greatest priority. I try not to pry too much, but sometimes I really can't help myself. I feel like if I had experienced something like that, it would be my social responsibility to educate. That being said, I am not interested in stories of heroism or gore. I just want to know hard facts so that I may piece together his story and his experience. Stories are useless without context.

Just my opinion.

We determined this man's unit down to the company, so I guess that's all we could ask for. But I will call him in a few days and see how he is doing and get to know him better. You never know, he may open up.

Here is another vet from my flag, all heroes IMO

Here is Russell Witt who signed this flag, he passed away in 2012, gone but not forgotten.

I did some more research on the 95th, I will have to pick up the book "The Iron Men of Metz" there is also a documentary, very cool to have my flag ID'd by looking up the names, today was a good day, I am sure mo will agree :-)

Quote by maximus71 View Post
    I did some more research on the 95th, I will have to pick up the book "The Iron Men of Metz" there is also a documentary, very cool to have my flag ID'd by looking up the names, today was a good day, I am sure mo will agree :-)
    Dude, you should have seen my face when I called. I think that his wife might have hung up on me for thinking that I was an Indian telemarketer. I babbled about as much.

?

Quote by maximus71 View Post
    Nice work you are bringing history alive again !!
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

You got a very nice flag there buddy! Take good care of this awesome piece of history! I've always wanted a signed banner but i haven't managed to get one yet! Mine is still somewhere out there...

When i see items like this i wonder the exact same things you mentioned! Where was it hanged, who marched under it, which town, who made it and transfer it to it's final location, who captured it, did they survived the war, what have they seen during the war and if it is possible to locate any family members of the names on the flag...

It would be nice to present to someone a flag that his/her father/grandfather signed seven decades ago... It would be a nice topic to talk about!

Has anything like that happened before?

-update-
    now i read all the comments and i was thrilled to hear that you were able to locate the veterans dead or alive! Excellent work!!!!

Well done guys!
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast