Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

S A Opera Box Drape

Article about: This is either a very large S A podium banner or an opera house box drape. Originally, this piece was in the collection of the late Ed Stadnicki. It is illustrated on page 261 of Halciomb's

pjm
    ?

Default Re: S A Opera Box Drape

My guess on the trumpet banner would be a Leadership School associated with the group Westphalia or Ostland. Both used the wine red group color. Ostland had gold buttons and rank insignia and that would explain the yellow SA insignia.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement S A Opera Box Drape
    P
    Many

Quote by pjm View Post
    My guess on the trumpet banner would be a Leadership School associated with the group Westphalia or Ostland. Both used the wine red group color. Ostland had gold buttons and rank insignia and that would explain the yellow SA insignia.
    Paul-
    I do not consider the piece to be a trumpet banner. It is large, around 2' x 2'. There is no method to attach the banner to a trumpet as the cloth loops at the top are one piece. This was evidently suspended from a wooden rod in a location where both sides were visible. Unless brought to the West by a German before the end of the war, it is unlikely that this piece came out of Ostland as it was aquired from a US veteran in the 1970's.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

pjm
    ?

Right, I realized it wasn't a trumpet banner after I posted and saw the hanging loops but couldn't edit.

It could be Westfalen...lots of SA Sturmfahnen turn up from that group because that region was in the path of US forces. The yellow SA insignia doesn't necessarily need to comply with the gold buttons/rank insignia. Sometimes we collectors think things through more thoroughly than the original owners.

The color might not have anything to do with a group designation anyway.

But, the banner's use is interesting to speculate since, being double-sided, one would expect both sides to be visible when it was displayed.

2x2' is large so it could have been carried like a DE standard.

Hidden treasures!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2