Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Seeking opinions on a bugle banner

Article about: Thank you for admitting me to your site. I have a question about an item that my father brought home with him upon his return from Germany shortly after the war ended. Let me first say, I ca

In most if not all aspects, as Glen has noted, this banner does not match any known originals I could find on the other forum and the quality is very poor by comparison. As I mentioned in my first post, a story is only a story without the history to go with it and it has been known for Vets to embroider their service and to have items in their possession that could not have existed during the war. Sometimes they picked them up later and added them to their history, in other cases they have been conned out of their items or others have pulled a switch that has gone unnoticed. All that said, the length of the fringe was of a length I would expect to see on originals.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Seeking opinions on a bugle banner
    P
    Many

Needless to say, I'm disappointed, mainly because I have been paying to keep this in a safe deposit box, which apparently was unnecessary, since my father passed. Having said that, I want to make it clear that my intention was not to pass off a "fake" item, but only to determine if it really did hold any value.....beyond the fact that it belonged to my father, an Army Captain-Battery Commander, Battery B 580th AA (prior to becoming a Military Govt. Officer in Duderstadt, Liepzig and Munich, 1945.....which gives it value in itself. Thank you all for your time.

this is a very odd looking trumpet banner. I concur with all of the points made by Glenn. In the months following the war, there was no industry making fakes as much original material was available and not worth much. The only possibility that this is not a fake is the provenance to your father aqnd his early return stateside . It could be an very early locally made product for an early Allgemeine SS unit before the construction of such things was regulated by the Reichszugmeisterei. Sorry for the use of some historical terms you may not understand. This is a piece that can not easily stand on it's own
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

?

Bob, Any chance it was made post war as a "Souvenir" to take home with period material used.. for G.I.'s As some other relics have been produced in this fashion ?? G
    I'd rather be A "RaD Man than a Mad Man "

Quote by Gwar View Post
    Bob, Any chance it was made post war as a "Souvenir" to take home with period material used.. for G.I.'s As some other relics have been produced in this fashion ?? G
    Anything is possible. At the time this was acquired, Germans were struggling to find the basic needs to exist. IF it had been a few years later during the occupation, it would be more likely. Only her father knew where it was obtained and I presume that information is lost to time.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

?

Thanks Bob... G
    I'd rather be A "RaD Man than a Mad Man "

I beg to differ from my forum friends.

Look closely at the tresse. This is not NCO's braid. The pattern is wrong for it to be that.

I rather like it.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2