Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

State Service Flag - Requesting More Info

Article about: Hi everyone. I've been laying low for a month or two but recently purchased this very near mint state service flag. Wondering if anyone can tell me why this one doesn't have the white edge w

Default State Service Flag - Requesting More Info

Hi everyone. I've been laying low for a month or two but recently purchased this very near mint state service flag. Wondering if anyone can tell me why this one doesn't have the white edge with the rope and markings. Mine has two loops for what appears to be mounting to a pole. Could this have just been hanging in an administrative building? Thank you!State Service Flag - Requesting More InfoState Service Flag - Requesting More InfoState Service Flag - Requesting More InfoState Service Flag - Requesting More InfoState Service Flag - Requesting More Info

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement State Service Flag - Requesting More Info
    P
    Many

Made for indoor usage as opposed to out in the wind and elements? Would make sense with the 2 pole loops rather than eyelets.
    Last edited by Wagriff; 06-09-2014 at 10:20 AM.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Hi Wagriff, Whilst your opinion was identical to my first impression, I can not help but wonder, as an indoor flag, why has the fly been over stiched to prevent wind fray? Or were German offices that draughty? Probably just another German production idiosyncrasy???
    Cheers MR

Hello Michael, It's kind of an oddball little flag. The corners, as you say, are wind stitched, but not to the extent that you see usually on flags like the big KM battleflags, etc. Since it's made to hang, apparently, on a Pole, maybe it was to be occasionally carried? Or, it could be, as you suggest, just yet another example of typical German over-building everything!
    William

Yes Wagriff, a bit of an odd ball but none-the-less a cracking flag!! And an interesting variant. I wonder if there are any markings on the hoist?? May even tell you what the flag was to be used for?
    Cheers Michael R

I've actually seen KM flags without the white edge stripping on them before. They were made in occupied France. Perhaps this little flag is also French made? Whatever it is, it's a great size for display and in super condition.
    William

Hello again. Thank you for the info. There are no visible markings anywhere. The size is appx 72 x 44 inches. It has a couple of small blemishes but it's almost perfect.

A good buy by the sound of it and yes, could well be French or other occupation country manufacture. If the factory were using a sealed pattern to copy then that could explain the wind damage stitching even if the flag was going to be used as "indoor". The factory would be told to produce flags in accordance with Pattern XYZ regardless of proposed use. And then naturally comply. Congratulation on the aquisition Naptime and I think that you have hit the nail on the head Wagriff. So untill someone comes up with the definitive answer, I am with you!!!!!!!!!!!! None German manufacture and possibly an office flag???????????
    Cheers Michael R

Yes, I got a very good deal on the flag. That's usually how I make a purchase. If I wanted to pay full price, I would go to any number of legitimate dealers. So I roll-the-dice periodically and buy from complete strangers. Got lucky on this one.