Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

Vehicle identification flag/recognition drape to share/feedback

Article about: Hello everyone! Picked up this pretty minty vehicle identification flag/recognition drape (depending on what you like to call them) over at WAF for \\$225 and just wanted to share it here for

Default Vehicle identification flag/recognition drape to share/feedback

Hello everyone! Picked up this pretty minty vehicle identification flag/recognition drape (depending on what you like to call them) over at WAF for $225 and just wanted to share it here for feedback. Forgot the dimensions of the top of my head, but can probably dig them up. Single sided, separately stitched roundel with printed swastika and what's believed to be an inventory or material lot number of 195 handwritten, no fluorescence. One interesting thing I noticed is that not all the grommets are facing the same direction dependent on the corner. The pictures of the grommets where the flag is folded to show them are the back of the grommets so you can see the mismatch. Cloth has an aged smell to it.

Vehicle identification flag/recognition drape to share/feedbackVehicle identification flag/recognition drape to share/feedbackVehicle identification flag/recognition drape to share/feedbackVehicle identification flag/recognition drape to share/feedbackVehicle identification flag/recognition drape to share/feedbackVehicle identification flag/recognition drape to share/feedbackVehicle identification flag/recognition drape to share/feedbackVehicle identification flag/recognition drape to share/feedbackVehicle identification flag/recognition drape to share/feedbackVehicle identification flag/recognition drape to share/feedbackVehicle identification flag/recognition drape to share/feedbackVehicle identification flag/recognition drape to share/feedbackVehicle identification flag/recognition drape to share/feedbackVehicle identification flag/recognition drape to share/feedback
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Vehicle identification flag/recognition drape to share/feedback  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Vehicle identification flag/recognition drape to share/feedback
    P
    Many

The grommets appear to have a brass color to them, is this from the lighting, or are they brass?
    As far as I know, originals should be made from zinc.
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

Quote by rbminis View Post
    The grommets appear to have a brass color to them, is this from the lighting, or are they brass?
    As far as I know, originals should be made from zinc.
    Ralph.
    The grommets are indeed brass. I've never heard of nor seen a vehicle flag example with anything other than brass grommets. Where did you see that zinc was the original? You posted on this thread in 2012 that brass grommets are normal for these types of flags. Did you come upon new information? Vehicle ID flag....original?

Quote by akriener View Post
    Did you come upon new information? Vehicle ID flag....original?
    Did you do any research prior to your purchase?

That was 8 years ago, you would also have noticed that the rest of the flag was condemned anyways.

If you have seen my example posted in 2013? You will notice that it has zinc grommets. You will also notice, that the grommets holes are open, and do not contain the material of the flag filling the hole.
    Vehicle I.D. Flag

Some have commented in other threads, that late war examples also could have aluminum grommets, which was news to me.
    German WW2 vehicle flag, real or fake?

These threads give the impression that steel would also be acceptable, I believe this would create a rust issue, which this one appears to have.
    Vehicle ID banner
    Opinions On This Vehicle ID Flag Please

IMO, Zinc again.
    German WW2 Vehicle I.D. Flag
    My flag
    Opinion on these items

Looks like colored zinc to me.
    Vehicle I.D Flag

IMO, late war zinc.
    Swastika Flag - Fake? opinions please

No one is going to be right 100% of the time. People's knowledge will increase with the amount of reading and learning that they do on these forums, that's what it is all about.
    Besides, a lot of what we know today is speculation, supposition, and investigation.

What matters at the end of the day, is that you are happy with it.

Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

I did do research yes. Findings indicate that brass, brass plated zinc and plain zinc were acceptable materials. Granted these posts were from the early to mid 2000s but still relevant. I've seen a couple other examples with material caught in the grommets and some without.