MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here

Huge Q68 M35 DD Luftwaffe & FJ Kneepad

Article about: More... by: KradSpam Description: Here is a very nice DD Luftwaffe M35, Q68. I can't read the lot number properly as it was named at that point which was then scratched out, presumably the h

Default Huge Q68 M35 DD Luftwaffe & FJ Kneepad

More...

by: KradSpam

Description: Here is a very nice DD Luftwaffe M35, Q68. I can't read the lot number properly as it was named at that point which was then scratched out, presumably the helmet had a couple of owners, making the number very tricky to read. The lid is all factory standard, made in the first half of 1940 at the Quist plant in Esslingen. The liner is dated 1939, reinforced type with rounded chinstrap bales. The split pins are all untouched and dated 1940. Both decals are great, the eagle is in great condition, but was denazified at some point. The legs and swas are from a repro decal but in hand you just can't tell. Some specks of white paint were on the front but have been carefully picked off with a scalpel.

The most striking feature is when you turn it over and check out the liner. There is a Fallschirmjager kneepad under it at the crown, put in there by the Luft trooper for extra padding, or to compensate for the damage to the leather. The pad is much cleaner on the opposite side, and has some nice old rust stains matching spots in the shell. Also the paint in the dome is much smoother, having been protected by the pad. There is also a long cord threaded through the holes in the liner. Looking at the wear on the leather I am convinced this was installedduring the war and the helmet was worn for some time after this cord was put in. Notice the way the hole is distorted by the cord (I took 2 comparison pictures of the best example to show this), and the cracking in the leather in places nicely follows the line of the cord below it.

I am asking $900, tracked and insured postage included worldwide.

War Relics Militaria sales

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Huge Q68 M35 DD Luftwaffe & FJ Kneepad
    P
    Many