Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

45 cal slug found near wreck od c47

Article about: Hi All my son found this when we were visiting the wreck of c47 2108982 of 32nd troop carrier squ USAAF it crashed in the Peaks in 1945 it was near the wreck of this aircraft and a lancaster

Default 45 cal slug found near wreck od c47

Hi All
    my son found this when we were visiting the wreck of c47 2108982 of 32nd troop carrier squ USAAF it crashed in the Peaks in 1945 it was near the wreck of this aircraft and a lancaster that crashed about Half a mile away on james thorn.
    i think it is a 45cal pistol round could it be from this wreck? it was transporting a Jeep at the time of the crash so could it be from the Jeep? will never really know. it may have been just dropped by a shooter i supose but nice little item thought i would show. Most of the jacket has coroded away leaving the lead core. My son has much better vision than me i would never have spotted this.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 45 cal slug found near wreck od c47   45 cal slug found near wreck od c47  

45 cal slug found near wreck od c47  

Default Re: 45 cal slug found near wreck od c47

the first pick is my son with a chunck of airframe and the second is with part of the main wheel and trye.
    Andy

The crew could have been flying with sidearms. The 45 cal is the standard automatic round for the Colt M1911. Danny

Do you usually leave the larger stuff, or take it? Nice find though. Interesting.

Quote by Blitzkrieg Bop View Post
    Do you usually leave the larger stuff, or take it? Nice find though. Interesting.
    It is not legal to remove items.

Cheers, Ade.

Hi I dont usually take anything not suposed to.
    this item has been cleaned and i took the picks then put it back a few months ago.
    its a tough one i like wrecks and wish that they were left as is but folk take bits and then there is nothing left.
    but on moorland (peat) the metal is getting eaten away and in a few years there will not be much left and this is a shame.
    i visited a blenham in the mid 90s and there was some original paint on some of the bits but i re visited the wreck last year and it is in much worse condition and in another 10 or 20 years there will be little left.
    the problem with folk taking bits is they usually end up in the shed and at some point end up thrown the bits out or the identity gets lost when it is sold on ebay then it is just a lump of old metal.
    if the parts are preserved with provinace that has to be a good thing no matter who does it
    Andy

Quote by ssg keay View Post
    The crew could have been flying with sidearms. The 45 cal is the standard automatic round for the Colt M1911. Danny
    i had not thought of that i supose it could be.
    Andy

Quote by Adrian Stevenson View Post
    It is not legal to remove items.

Cheers, Ade.
    Hi just to add i must make it clear it is not legal to remove wreck items.
    although plenty seem to be for sale.
    i only take picks with this item though it was not clear that it was from the wreck it was found near about 300 yards and has been put back once my son forgot about it (kids)
    Andy

It looks more like a 9mm but without measuring its hard to tell, the WRAC .45 rounds I have appear a slightly diffrent shape.

Hi
    It felt biger when i had it and most of the copper had fell away but i cant go back and mesure it. i asumed it was 45cal based on i thought it was bigger than 9mm or 38cal
    but it is hard to tell when projectiles are rusted up etc.
    Andy

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast