Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

A39 Tortoise

Article about: Nice one! Well done Guys This is going to be a bugger to remove! I suspect that is why it is still there? It is well worth saving. Although it might never have seen combat it is a very inter

Default Re: A39 Tortoise

Quote by eddy8men View Post
    hi fella's
    There's an article on the tortoise in the latest issue of classic military vehicle magazine you might find interesting.
    I'll speak to some people i know and see if i can't track that tortoise down for you,but i would ask you for a favour I've been interested in the armour on kirkcudbright since i heard of the comet wreck up there and until you mentioned it i hadn't realised there was more than one and not only that but a few cromwell's, definately worth a visit but i've got a feeling access would be a problem with all that uranium lying about.( maybe i should go at night and look for the glowing targets.) only trouble is i've no idea where the targets are located,could you give me the google earth location or a map ref or anything like that.
    thanks and all the best for the new year.
    eddy
    google is a wash out, it does not go into enough detail I'm afried

The Hulk i saw was lacking the gun or tracks,I popped out and bought Classic Military Veh and I'm pretty sure of what i saw at the time.....I did noticed that the article says that the Tank Museum had two but one was "disposed of" wonder where it went?
    To be honest i would not try and get into the Trg Area Eddy...its used for Pre-Afghan Build up...and you might wonder into someones exercise serial, on the other hand I'm still in and a serving Warrant Officer...I think i can feel a Exercise Recce coming on,
    Might be a while because i'm heading back out again too. I make a couple of phone calls because as Danny says they might be gone, I think due to the conversion to a Trg Area from a Tank gun testing range a H & S thing perhaps?

There is still the Churchhill Hulk and T34/85, couple of Cheiftans and about six 432's at Whinney Hill FIBUA village if your interested.

I was in France this summer and the Training area i was has three Shermans on it.!!!! ay least i hae pictures on one of them oh and a couple of AMX-30 dumped on the range..
    The Training Area in at La Courtine, will get some more pics of this Sherman, engine is missing it seems to have been rebuilt by the french, I Have pictures of the Tank Graveyard in Kabul too (was there 2002/2003), just need to scan them...
    Regards to all

TN
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture A39 Tortoise   A39 Tortoise  

A39 Tortoise   A39 Tortoise  

If your planning another exercise just let me know if you need an enemy just ask Angus and Dundee Bn ACF for the cadets that were on Exercise Fox

nice pictures, thanks for posting them

Thanks

Danny

hi fella's
    Don't worry about me blundering around the range area,if i did go to kirkcudbright it would have to be legit,it's the only way to do a proper recce and it's more of an interest i have than an actual recovery attempt.besides i've got my eye on a churchill which should keep me busy for a while. ie the rest of my natural life ,i'm dying to post some more pics but things are a bit more serious this time round and i can't show anything until i've got possession.

Great thread tn,I can't get enough of range armour,I've been speaking to some guys who've been doing this for 30 years and still nobody knows all of what's out there.I reckon you're on to something with the tortoise as well, there can't be many afv's that look like that .the only tank i could think of that might bear a passing ressemblence ie shape and size would be a cent arv but you could only confuse them on a dark night(i hope your not in the anti-tank platoon)and if you are would you mind just shooting a little bit off to the side from now on! All kidding aside it would be a bit of a coup if you did find the tortoise, good luck to you mate and all the best for that deployment and keep your head down.

all the best eddy

hi fella's
    Don't worry about me blundering around the range area,if i did go to kirkcudbright it would have to be legit,it's the only way to do a proper recce and it's more of an interest i have than an actual recovery attempt.besides i've got my eye on a churchill which should keep me busy for a while. ie the rest of my natural life ,i'm dying to post some more pics but things are a bit more serious this time round and i can't show anything until i've got possession.

Great thread tn,I can't get enough of range armour,I've been speaking to some guys who've been doing this for 30 years and still nobody knows all of what's out there.I reckon you're on to something with the tortoise as well, there can't be many afv's that look like that .the only tank i could think of that might bear a passing ressemblence ie shape and size would be a cent arv but you could only confuse them on a dark night(i hope your not in the anti-tank platoon)and if you are would you mind just shooting a little bit off to the side from now on! All kidding aside it would be a bit of a coup if you did find the tortoise, good luck to you mate and all the best for that deployment and keep your head down.

all the best eddy
    Good luck with the churchill, I'm looking forward to seeing the pictures

I'm going to Altcar next year, and theres a lot of trucks, APC's, AFV's, SPG's and landrovers just lying around at the training area, some are at the FIBUA village, well i know theres a ferret scout car hull there and a 4 ton truck with a landrover on it there. And in these woods theres an Abbot SPG and whats left of a Spartan APC I'll bring my camera and take plenty of pics

And all the best for your deployment

Thanks

Danny

heres one of my old posts which might be of interest The wreck with the red powder from a 40mm training grenade has gone, and pretty much every piece that can be removed from the other is gone, i.e the back doors, parts of the turret etc.

https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/armou...n-wrecks-8939/

Thanks

Danny

thanks danny
    make sure you charge the batteries on that camera of yours,I went to altcar on an acf camp 25 years ago ,good range if i remember right,
    If you find any armoured wrecks/remains even bits and pieces on the deck please take a pic you never know it might lead to something bigger.
    i like the saracen pics do you have anymore for us .

all the best eddy

i'll hang on to see what Adrian comes back with, the article for the other Mag could tie down the where abouts of all the A39s and show ive made a mistake...I ve been a Tank nerd for years...

My friend has an optical sight reported to be from a Female MK V Tank (he is not so sure)....so i'll get a few pics of that, think i'll need to post it in the right place though..on here of course.

I'm not away untill Mid next year and will have a fair bit of beat up training so will catch so pics of the Range/Training area AFV's or hulks...

Regards to all...

Jim.

Jim
    are you going back to kirkcudbright,if you do mate take a pic or two for me of the ww2 stuff and i'll owe you one .

cheers eddy

No Problems Eddy will do

thanks danny
    make sure you charge the batteries on that camera of yours,I went to altcar on an acf camp 25 years ago ,good range if i remember right,
    If you find any armoured wrecks/remains even bits and pieces on the deck please take a pic you never know it might lead to something bigger.
    i like the saracen pics do you have anymore for us .

all the best eddy
    Dont worry I will
    I'll take some pics of everything I find, but I'm there on exercise not searching for wreckage so getting a photo of everything could be difficult.
    I've got pics of other wrecks, but they are all on my laptop and thats not working

Thanks

Danny

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast