Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

Aircraft part?

Article about: Found this lying by the side of a disused railway , shut since Beeching, in the late 70,s. This was a few hundred yards from where bombs/incendredies were dropped on a cottage in the middle

OKW
    ?

Default Aircraft part?

Found this lying by the side of a disused railway , shut since Beeching, in the late 70,s. This was a few hundred yards from where bombs/incendredies were dropped on a cottage in the middle of nowhere, Gotherington, Gloucestershire. The occupant was killed.
    I believe the pictures show part of an aircraft, the paint is dark green, almost black on the exterior. The interior appears to be painted with a yellow brown colour, not etch primer. Have a look at the pics and say what think.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Aircraft part?   Aircraft part?  

Aircraft part?   Aircraft part?  

Aircraft part?   Aircraft part?  

Default Re: Aircraft part?

It does look like part of an airframe but could equally be a bit of farming equipment.

Are you sure there are no markings anywhere ?

Cheers

Steve T

OKW
    ?

No, been over it with a fine tooth comb. Its aluminium/duraluminium. The ribs?/ stingers are of aircraft quality and the rivets suggest airframe rather than agricultural. One part of the edge looks like it has been subject to heat, this has the look of heated aluminium, its texture seems to change. Do you happen to know what colour the interiors of German aircraft were painted?, not necessarily where the crew occupied but all the other nooks and crannies.

My opinion it's an aircraft piece, it looks to have "primer yellow"(a common colour for the primer, used even to this day on aircraft) underneath the green paint.

Regards,
    René

I agree that this is almost definatley from an aircraft of some sort, especialy looking at pictures of rib and section in in photos 3 and 4. Is there any possibility that there is more in the vicinity.

Steve C

OKW
    ?

Oh yes there was another piece the same size. Whilst away in the forces my mother, god rest her, arranged for my uncle to "take that piece of junk to the tip for you". There was also a flange, 6-8 inches long, which looked like it may have supported a pulley wheel, the type for control cables. That also disappeared.

OKW
    ?

I'd agree with you reneblacky about the colour being the same as modern aircraft. This obtained by using an acid based primer that actually etches into, on to the metal, soaks in rather than stays on the surface like paint. The stuff on here appears to be conventional paint and is coming off in layers. When i worked on British army helicopers the interior of the access panels were a kind of pale brown. Any metal repairs had to be primed with this etch primer which caught the back of yer throat in confined spaces. The actual acid eludes me at present but was made up as required from a powder, with a bit extra for luck.

?

I'll join in with the definate aircraft part decision. Looking on the map Gotherington is very close to Prescott. I'm pretty sure a whitley broke up in the air over a hill climb circuit, probably Prescott but maybe Shelsey? Walsh in Worcs. I'll try and find more.

OKW
    ?

Thanks for your interest gentlemen