Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Ammo crate found in a fence, Malta

Article about: Attached is a couple of pictures of a ammo crate I found embedded in a farmers fence outside Mellieha, Malta. Can anyone tell me what kind of crate it is? My own guess is, that it is an WW2

?

Default Ammo crate found in a fence, Malta

Attached is a couple of pictures of a ammo crate I found embedded in a farmers fence outside Mellieha, Malta. Can anyone tell me what kind of crate it is?
    My own guess is, that it is an WW2 crate used to store anti aircraft ammo (Bofors 40 mm?).

I do not have the exact dimensions since I did not have e ruler on me, but it is about 70x50x40 (LxHxW)

Thanks!
    Allan
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Ammo crate found in a fence, Malta   Ammo crate found in a fence, Malta  

Ammo crate found in a fence, Malta  

Default Re: Ammo crate found in a fence, Malta

That a cool photo you got there!

Hi Al,

Here's a 40mm Bofors crate for comparison.

Regards, Ned.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Ammo crate found in a fence, Malta  
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

?

Quote by big ned View Post
    Hi Al,

Here's a 40mm Bofors crate for comparison.

Regards, Ned.
    Hey Ned and thanks for the reply and the info about the Bofors ammo. It doesn't look like the one I saw, but at least we ruled Bofors out :-)

hI, thats a nice photo, thanks for posting
    Best regards
    Nuno

It reminds me of............The sign post..up ahead.

ILH
    ?

Hi Allan,

I don't think it's any kind of ammo box, sorry,- almost certainly not British.

my geuss, if it is military, would be an insulated container of some sort (it's clearly got an inner and outer shell)- like a 'hay-box' for food?

all the best,
    jim.

?

Quote by ILH View Post
    Hi Allan,

I don't think it's any kind of ammo box, sorry,- almost certainly not British.

my geuss, if it is military, would be an insulated container of some sort (it's clearly got an inner and outer shell)- like a 'hay-box' for food?

all the best,
    jim.
    You might be right. But then again, why put food in a sturdy metal container? But then again (again) I don't know what a "hay-box" is
    Still, notice the "guide-rails" on the inside. It says "military" to me. second, it has a very destinct lid, (not very visible on the pictures) that almost certainly is military. It is quite likely that it is not a ammo box though, but something entirely different.
    But I could be all wrong. After all, is was partially buried in that fence
    Thanks for your thoughts anyway.

?

Latest update!
    I visited Malta once again and couldn't help stopping by the fence once again to see if the crate was still there. AND IT WAS
    I took some more pictures and strangely enough some rocks "fell" out of the fence so I could get at better picture of the lid
    Notice the holes in the lid and the light green metal frame around them. Strange...
    I am beginning to think it is not an ammo box after all and maybe not even a military item.
    Anyway, here are the pics:
    Ammo crate found in a fence, MaltaAmmo crate found in a fence, Malta

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast