Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

Anyone know...What has happened to the' Lady Be Good'?, US B24 D Liberator in Libya.

Article about: An amazing history the 'Lady be Good' is a US Liberator bomber that crashed into the libyan desert during WW2, the surviving crew walked 100+ miles in 8 days with just one canteen in a vain

Default Anyone know...What has happened to the' Lady Be Good'?, US B24 D Liberator in Libya.

An amazing history the 'Lady be Good' is a US Liberator bomber that crashed into the libyan desert during WW2, the surviving crew walked 100+ miles in 8 days with just one canteen in a vain attempt to escape. Amazingly the aircraft flew on after they'd bailed out and later crash landed, it was rediscovered in 1958 in a remarkable condition and in 1960 all the crews bodies except one were located.

Anyone know...What has happened to the' Lady Be Good'?, US B24 D Liberator in Libya.

Here is a link giving much more detail. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lady_Be_Good_(aircraft)

In 1994 Col Gaddafi's men drove into the desert, cut it into more manageable pieces and loaded it onto lorries. It was then driven to Tobruk where it was supposed to be going into a Museum. This did not happen, it initially went to a military base and was later moved to Jamal Abdelnasser Air Force Base where it was parked up. I understand it was still there in the early 2000's.

But the question is has it survived the recent fighting? is it still there?
    If it has here's hoping it'll one day find its way into a museum to preserve whats left for the future.
    LUCKYSTRIKE
    Last edited by LUCKYSTRIKE; 10-21-2011 at 11:13 AM.

Default Re: Anyone know...What has happened to the' Lady Be Good'?, US B24 D Liberator in Libya.

I last heard of it in a compound behind a police station a good while back and had been targeted heavily by looters. I was told by some guys who restore aircraft that the way the Libyans hacked it up for removal without the slightest thoughts of dimantling it correctly, that there is little to no chance that it will ever be more than a pile of scrap, slowly being pilfered by the locals.

Still, on the bright side at least Ghadaffi's been killed, the scumbag!!
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Default Re: Anyone know...What has happened to the' Lady Be Good'?, US B24 D Liberator in Libya.

Hi Ned,
    Thanks for the update, that's a shame but at least the important parts were rescued in the early days before the Country became closed. These parts are displayed in several museums across the US and of course plenty of pictures of the aircraft in situ were also taken.

I think Gaddafi's demise was too quick and easy, he should have been tried for all the countless crimes he committed. Then once found guilty and a death sentance passed, he'd have suffered like many of his victims until it was carried out. However if it had gone to court I'm sure he could have said plenty to embarrass many Countries, like the recent paper work find showing close intelligence work and possible suspect transfers from Western Governments. A quick hit to silence him once and for all was probably the prefered outcome for all concerned, perhaps they even had troops on the ground with this specific task.

LUCKYSTRIKE

Quote by LUCKYSTRIKE View Post
    Hi Ned,
    Thanks for the update, that's a shame but at least the important parts were rescued in the early days before the Country became closed. These parts are displayed in several museums across the US and of course plenty of pictures of the aircraft in situ were also taken.

I think Gaddafi's demise was too quick and easy, he should have been tried for all the countless crimes he committed. Then once found guilty and a death sentance passed, he'd have suffered like many of his victims until it was carried out. However if it had gone to court I'm sure he could have said plenty to embarrass many Countries, like the recent paper work find showing close intelligence work and possible suspect transfers from Western Governments. A quick hit to silence him once and for all was probably the prefered outcome for all concerned, perhaps they even had troops on the ground with this specific task.

LUCKYSTRIKE
    As a matter of interest, the wreck of the 'Lady Be Good' was used by the RAF in point to point Nav Ex's in the 1960's using, specifically, high flying Canberra's.

The aircraft would take of from the U.K. and quickly ascend to 50 grand+. The object was to fly to the 'Great Sand Sea' in Libya by the use of dead reckoning and other basic methods to a specific point and then turn around and return to base. The turn round point was the 'Lady Be Good',the Canberra would descend to around 1000 feet and she had to be photographed to prove that the mission was successful, the aircraft then returning back to base.

Without wishing to get too political on the matter of Ghadaffi's demise, I personally am more than happy that he was dealt with by a single 9mm bullet to his head costing between 50 cents to $1.50 than a trial like that afforded to Saddam Hussein that cost millions, dragged on for months and months,with judges and prosecuting counsel being murdered left, right and centre, and ended in the unedifying spectacle of him being lynched by a mob that was apparently the employees of the newly elected, democratic goverment of Iraq. But hey...,maybe that's just me. Job jobbed, let's move on.

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Great post. I too was just wondering what had happened to her. I always assumed that she was sold off as scrap by the desert nomads in much the same way as the remnants of the desert ground forces were.
    As for Gadhafi...Having seen the footage of his beating, I can't say that he got off easier than being kept in a nice safe cell, with 3 square a day. It seems to me he suffered a more painful humiliation than he ever would have on trial.

?

Some of it, an engine, etc. has been on display at the Air Force Miseum in Dayton, Ohio.
    They change exhibits from time to time, so don't know if it is presently there.