Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

B-17E Bomber Crash Site, Santo, Vanuatu.

Article about: Hey. Yes I went to 3 air fields. One of the main ones is used as their main airport still today. Pic of me above standing on a bomber air field.

?

Default B-17E Bomber Crash Site, Santo, Vanuatu.

Hey guys.
    Just got back from a WWII Pacific holiday.
    Here are some pics of a B-17E bomber crash site in Santo and some stuff I found while sniffing around the site.
    I found the empty shell under the tail section and the broken round in the wing.
    They have lay hidden all this time.
    Also went diving at Million Dollar Point, will post those pics once I get the film processed.
    About the bullets, there are two kinds. Can anyone tell me why they are different?
    Also there is a ceramic tube (B17) and a Bronze dial (Million Dollar Point) that I can't figure out?
    Also can anyone tell me the name of the B-17E that crashed? Can't find any records on it.
    Other pics are of Hangers and Bomber air strip.etc...
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture B-17E Bomber Crash Site, Santo, Vanuatu.   B-17E Bomber Crash Site, Santo, Vanuatu.  

B-17E Bomber Crash Site, Santo, Vanuatu.   B-17E Bomber Crash Site, Santo, Vanuatu.  

B-17E Bomber Crash Site, Santo, Vanuatu.   B-17E Bomber Crash Site, Santo, Vanuatu.  

Last edited by Danger; 11-07-2011 at 02:56 AM.

Default Re: B-17E Bomber Crash Site, Santo, Vanuatu.

Great pics Danger, in one of them there seems to be a submerged plate (pic just over the Quanset hut), could that possibly be an Army mess plate tin? Thanks for sharing. John

?

Hey John.
    Yeah it is an Army Mess plate.
    Tried to free it, but it had been pinched in by other rusting metal.
    It's at Million dollar point, saw some tanks and jeeps etc... in about 8m of water.
    There's also heaps of Coca-Cola bottles there.
    I got 2, one from 1944 and 1945.
    Glad you enjoyed the pics.
    Has always been my dream to do it.
    Ever since I was a kid and heard of the USMC throwing bottles of Coca-Cola into the sea, I had to get one, or two.

Nice pick up on the cola bottles, personally I probably would have tried to fir one of the Tanks into my checked baggage Great pics, enjoyed them. John

?

Ha ha.
    Mate! If i had a big enough bag I would've had the lot.
    The tanks in there look half cannon, half tractor.
    There are bombs in there too, 100lb bomber bombs.
    It's a garden of treasures.

Great photos, would love to see some of the diving ones if you have any.

Heres some of some 'finds' I made diving a New Zealand Minesweeper (HMNZS Moa) sunk in Tulagi harbour (Solomon Islands) by Val dive bombers April 7, 1943. This shot was taken @40m depth and the viz was crap so I just fossicked around and found these items in about a 1 foot radius. ( I left them for other divers to enjoy)

B-17E Bomber Crash Site, Santo, Vanuatu.

The only info I found was that there are two B17's crashed ashore and one in the water. No specific information beyond that. Try calling one of the tourist places there and ask them if they know the crash stories. Super photos.

Jay

What, the star engines are just laying there?!?

Regards

?

Hey.
    Yeah there is so much stuff on Santo.
    What was light enough to carry was taken away by the Islanders years ago.
    But no one really goes there anymore.
    Here's some more pics.
    Picking up the underwater pics tomorrow.
    Will share if they came out ok.
    That's what you get using an underwater camera from 1983.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture B-17E Bomber Crash Site, Santo, Vanuatu.   B-17E Bomber Crash Site, Santo, Vanuatu.  

Nice photos well done!I plan on going to Guadacanal to check out WWII wrecks and hopefully find My Great Uncles crashed F4U.He was also based at Santo.

Did you check out the air field?(if it's still there)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast