Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

B-29 wreck in Lake Mead

Article about: I am in the CAF and to my knowledge Fifi (Our B-29) is the only one around. It is based in Midland, headquarters of the commerative Air force the restores and flys wwii aircraft. Bob Cason

Default B-29 wreck in Lake Mead

B-29 wreck in Lake Mead, near Hoover Dam

Lake Mead's B-29 Bomber

Default Re: B-29 wreck in Lake Mead

The plane is still in pretty spectacular shape. No vegetation on the bottom of that lake has helped keep it from rusting away. I'm very suprised they have not brought it up. They should, it's got some great parts on it.

Jay

I saw a TV program a while a go that described their mission and
    subsequent crash into the lake. It involved the sun and an
    experimental measuring device............
    Regards,

Steve.

I think I saw that show too Steve, talk about some lucky guys!* They bounced off the water at 250 MPH and all five of them lived to tell the tale.* As soon as they got out of the water, they should have bought a lottery ticket.Jay

Quote by sitges1990 View Post
    I think I saw that show too Steve, talk about some lucky guys!* They bounced off the water at 250 MPH and all five of them lived to tell the tale.* As soon as they got out of the water, they should have bought a lottery ticket.Jay

Excellent pilot.................. !
    Regards,

Steve.

This thing looks in great condition,would love to see it up close to really see what condition it is in.

I've done alot of boating on this lake Chris, and I think the darn thing is in such good shape because there's absolutely no vegetation on the bottom, and there is a hugh cold thermocline below 40 or 50 feet. Makes no sense cause it's hot as Hades above. Steve, I thought the whole point of being a good pilot was not to hit anything. I'm learning I guess.

Jay

Quote by sitges1990 View Post
    I've done alot of boating on this lake Chris, and I think the darn thing is in such good shape because there's absolutely no vegetation on the bottom, and there is a hugh cold thermocline below 40 or 50 feet. Makes no sense cause it's hot as Hades above. Steve, I thought the whole point of being a good pilot was not to hit anything. I'm learning I guess.

Jay

....Nothing HARD ..................... !
    Regards,

Steve.

I think this is plane that inspired the Clive Cussler book Dragoon (a very good read BTW)

Isnt there at lot of B29s still around? 3.960 built and in use up into the 60s?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast