Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

B17 relic: Any clues?

Article about: Hi Over the weekend if took a stroll across a recently ploughed field where a B17 from the 486th bombardment group crashed in April 1945. Lying on the public footpath was this section of ele

Default B17 relic: Any clues?

Hi

Over the weekend if took a stroll across a recently ploughed field where a B17 from the 486th bombardment group crashed in April 1945. Lying on the public footpath was this section of electrical cabling and duct. It does not appear to be civilian due to the general quality and heavy duty nature of the remains. I have only given it a quick clean and the only markings I can find are 3740 46.

Can anyone confirm whether this is indeed from a B-17 and whether the coding helps narrow down it's function?

many thanks

B17 relic: Any clues?B17 relic: Any clues?B17 relic: Any clues?B17 relic: Any clues?.

Default Re: B17 relic: Any clues?

Hi Harry,

It looks like part of the wiring harness for one of the four Wright Cyclone series engines that were fitted to the Fortress and continually upgraded throughout the war.

Regards, Ned.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture B17 relic: Any clues?  
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Quote by big ned View Post
    Hi Harry,

It looks like part of the wiring harness for one of the four Wright Cyclone series engines that were fitted to the Fortress and continually upgraded throughout the war.

Regards, Ned.
    Nice one Ned Thanks. That certainly looks like the one, though significantly bashed around.

at guess I think it could be part of the ignition leads.

?

Definitely shielded ignition harness from an engine.

Thanks to all for the id

might be worth a little more investigating on that site, and land owner permitting apply for a licence to recover any remains,
    certainly looks like it went in hard, at a pure guess I bet there is a lot more of it in the ground ..

maybe worth a scan with a magnetometer