Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Battle of Britain ME110 unearthed in dorset.

Article about: As per link .... ME110 unearthed in Dorset. Archaeologists find remains of German Messerchmitt downed during Battle of Britain dogfight | Culture24 Gary J.

Quote by harryamb2 View Post
    also missing in that area is Goering's nephew in a ME110.
    The crash site was found on Portland many years ago, it crashes right on the railway track. John.

?

Battle of Britain ME110 unearthed in dorset.Battle of Britain ME110 unearthed in dorset.Battle of Britain ME110 unearthed in dorset.Hi Guys
    The dig was undertaken by Op Nightingale . We recovered various parts of the plane but nothing so far to identify it 100% . Lots of the bigger part appeared to have been removed either at the time or during a dig in the 80's. Most of the remains were broken into small fragment and lots of the aircraft was just so much scrap. Lots of the metal was melted supporting the theory of a fire when it crashed No personnel effects or sign of the crew were found . Amongst the part found were bits of engine , 7.92 ammunition (some fired) Perspex , wire etc.

thank you.

?

Thanks for the photos and report perce. I was a wide eyed teenager on the 80s dig. There wasn't much left then, either. The only big piece being a propeller boss on the south side of the path. Stopping from 400 mph to nothing in a foot and a half doesn't leave much behind. Hopefully there will be a scrap of label or airframe part with the werk number stamped.

?

There's a nice write up on this dig in 'Britain at War' magazine.

?

Even managed to get my ugly mug into a couple of the pictures

Hi perce, how very interesting being part of this dig.
    Regards SK

I used to do a lot of wreck diving off of the Dorset coast and there is something twin engined and upside down in the sea not far from there. Have been told it was Germab but the visibility and damage made it difficult to see much.

- - ------- - -

German I meant

?

Hi Andy
    Thanks for the info . Do you have anymore gen about the wreck. I know the Sqn that the Aircraft we were digging on took a lot of casualties during the BOB so it could be one of those .I have a book with a list of 110 losses so I'll see if I can find any losses at sea

Quote by perce View Post
    Hi Andy
    Thanks for the info . Do you have anymore gen about the wreck. I know the Sqn that the Aircraft we were digging on took a lot of casualties during the BOB so it could be one of those .I have a book with a list of 110 losses so I'll see if I can find any losses at sea
    My post #3 may help as it gives a handful of losses at sea for the day originally mentioned. It's a start anyway.

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast