Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

bf109 - footage of plane recovered from lake after WWII landing on the ice.

Article about: Supposedly the plane of a pilot 'Widowitz.' Note commentaries - supposedly plane still retains remnants of desert camo under the last applied Eastern Front camo paint (I cant vouch for that

?

Default bf109 - footage of plane recovered from lake after WWII landing on the ice.

Supposedly the plane of a pilot 'Widowitz.'

Note commentaries - supposedly plane still retains remnants of desert camo under the last applied Eastern Front camo paint (I cant vouch for that being true or not).

It does look like the plane might have been forced down with the holes and all.

I found it interesting anyways - hope you do too.

Me 109 found in Russian lake. - YouTube

Great bit of film, the pilot was lucky to survive going by the amount of bullet holes in the cockpit area! Thanks for sharing!...

Quote by Gunny Hartmann View Post
    Great bit of film, the pilot was lucky to survive going by the amount of bullet holes in the cockpit area! Thanks for sharing!...
    Actually it's believed those holes were caused by grenade thrown into the plane by retreating German troops, to make it unserviceable for the advancing enemy.
    Obviously it worked, given the fact when the ice melted the plane was still on the lake.

Beautiful!

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

Great vid of such an iconic war machine.......thanks for posting................Jake.

Quote by swiss76 View Post
    Actually it's believed those holes were caused by grenade thrown into the plane by retreating German troops, to make it unserviceable for the advancing enemy.
    Obviously it worked, given the fact when the ice melted the plane was still on the lake.
    Thanks for the info, it looked like bullet holes to me!..

Wulf Dietrich Widowitz was an ace with 36 kills and served with 3./JG-77 & 9./JG-5. He was awarded the Deutsche Kreuz in Gold posthumously and was also awarded the Ehrenpokal. He was killed on 28th July 1943 during a courier flight in a Do-145 northwest of Petsamo.

?

Thanks for interesting comments and info so far all

Quote by hucks216 View Post
    Wulf Dietrich Widowitz was an ace with 36 kills and served with 3./JG-77 & 9./JG-5. He was awarded the Deutsche Kreuz in Gold posthumously and was also awarded the Ehrenpokal. He was killed on 28th July 1943 during a courier flight in a Do-145 northwest of Petsamo.
    Hi Hucks,

Interesting info, but can you check on the Dornier model type? There was no Do-145 and i'd be interested to know what he was flying at the time of his death.

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Quote by big ned View Post
    Hi Hucks,

Interesting info, but can you check on the Dornier model type? There was no Do-145 and i'd be interested to know what he was flying at the time of his death.

Regards, Ned.
    http://www.weltkriegsopfer.de/Kriegs...n_0_21618.html
    He was flying a Gotha GO 145 when he died!.....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast