Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

BoB period Mg15 relic.

Article about: For the past couple of weeks I have been working on a relic Mg15 flexible machine gun which was recovered (in the 1970's) from the wreckage of a German bomber shot down over Kent in 1940. Al

Default BoB period Mg15 relic.

For the past couple of weeks I have been working on a relic Mg15 flexible machine gun which was recovered (in the 1970's) from the wreckage of a German bomber shot down over Kent in 1940. All details of the actual aircraft have been lost, but the gun was excavated by a prolific wreck-hunter during the 1970's/80's. Upon his death some time ago the gun was acquired by another collector - and then sold on to a dealer of such junk. The magazine was not recovered with the gun - the magazine dating from 1943.

The pistol grip/trigger guard are missing, items which I hope to replace at a future date. If anyone on the forum has such an item, please get in touch if you wish to sell. The Bakelite receiver cover was also gone, but I was fortunate enough to locate a modern copy in Latvia. The receiver has a slight bend upwards and to the right. The magazine housing is bent inwards on the right side, and the barrel was rotatable and free inside the receiver, it has since been pinned to stop it rotating. I suspect that the collar inside the receiver which the barrel screws in to was dislodged on impact. The bolt is also seized or jammed - probably because of the distortion to the receiver. The gun is currently an ongoing partial restoration project. I did try filling in the worst of the pitting with a mixture of two part epoxy resin and fine iron granules mixed into a paste. But when it came to sanding down the filler today, it rapidly became apparent that it was a total waste of time. I am still toying with the idea of whether I should treat the metal, but I have always preferred (in the past) to use a beeswax-based cream furniture polish liberally applied with a cloth. Click on pictures to enlarge

Cheers,
    Steve.

BoB period Mg15 relic.BoB period Mg15 relic.BoB period Mg15 relic.BoB period Mg15 relic.BoB period Mg15 relic.BoB period Mg15 relic.BoB period Mg15 relic.BoB period Mg15 relic.BoB period Mg15 relic.BoB period Mg15 relic.BoB period Mg15 relic.BoB period Mg15 relic.BoB period Mg15 relic.BoB period Mg15 relic.

Hi steve ,such an interesting relic mg and ongoing project to have in your collection and with the background history too makes it even more special ,it really does look superb ,thanks for sharing with us and i look forward to the updated pictures as and when you post ,all the best ,james

More pictures. Note how the force of the impact has bent the front sight bracket.

BoB period Mg15 relic.BoB period Mg15 relic.BoB period Mg15 relic.

I have a pitot tube that has nicely concertina'd, not bent over but collapsed on itself.
    Metal under impact does strange things. ..

Great relic!
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

Good resto job mate

Always wanted a MG15 Relic from a shot down bomber, missed out a couple of times to be honest.

Great restoration and good luck with the trigger part.

I parted with this gun just recently!

I hope you got a good price Steve!...

I didn't do too bad Gunny. Unfortunately, like many collectors, limited space dictates what I can and cannot keep. I only have a small spare bedroom which also doubles as my office when I am writing. The only Mg I have at the moment is the German-made all-steel replica of the 08/15. The original intention was to use this on the few talks I gave on my new book about the Accrington Pals. But in the end it stayed at home due to its weight of 40lbs! I've included a few pictures of some of the guns which once formed just part of my collection some years ago. There are some thing which I never part with though. My four-year-old grandson likes to work the crank on the Maxim which resides in front of my U Boat just visible behind it, he prefers it to his Nerf gun...

Cheers,
    Steve.

BoB period Mg15 relic. BoB period Mg15 relic. BoB period Mg15 relic. BoB period Mg15 relic.

I've only got a small collection of militaria Steve, but i understand your situation as our house is also home to lots of motorcycle parts as well as tattoo collectables.
    By the way have you seen the film 08/15?....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast