Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

British Tanks found in the English Channel

Article about: Revealed: The astonishing D-Day tanks found at the bottom of the English Channel | Mail Online Cheers, Ade.

Default re: British Tanks found in the English Channel

Interesting article, many more treasures are waiting to be found on the bottom of the cold and dark ocean floor...

I wonder if they will try to salvage them.

Greetz

Nick VR

Unbeleaveable to be found there after all this time , cheers Raymond

?

Interesting, what is future fate of them, would be they recovered?
    Regards,
    Dimas

my Skype: warrelics

Hi all.
    These tank were found 65feet (around 21 meters) underwater off the coast of Bracklesham Bay,West Sussex. This is 8 miles from my home. Not sure of the fate of these tanks as yet. Will try and find out.

kompanie
    ?

The English Channel is one of the most dangerous places in the world to dive,Not just that in places you cannot see your hand infront of your face due to the silt there are so much munitions down there(not to mention the spanish armada). I did see a program a while ago about the DD tanks they found closer to the French coast and are all now marked as war graves.As these fell over board it should be quiet nice to see some pics when there out of the drink.

The theory is that the tanks were lost during rehearsals for operation overlord, known as "Fabius lll", when they came under attack by german E-boats in the bay. Members of the Southsea sub-aqua club are conducting a survey of the marine life which has made the wrecks home aswell as photographing, taking measurements of the site. No plans to bring to the surface.
    Picture is of one of the tanks found off the coast of Normandy a few years back.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture British Tanks found in the English Channel  

Trevor

I thought the E-boat attack was made during Operation Tiger ?

Quote from Slapton sands memorial site......

In the early hours of the 28th of April 1944 eight Landing Ship Tanks (LST's), full of American servicemen were in Lyme Bay, off the coast of Devon, England. Their purpose to take part in Exercise Tiger, the realistic rehearsals for the D-Day landings in Normandy. The night turned into tragedy as a group of patrolling German e-boats discovered and attacked them. At the end of Exercise Tiger 946 American serviceman had lost their lives.

This was hushed up at the time and the Allies lost valuable LST's. It wasn't until after the war that a local resident kept finding old WW2 relics that it came to light.

I have been to the area twice and found a large number of relics but nothing as big as a tank !!!

Anyway....just curious as there were no other attacks by e-boats in that area. Is it the same thing you're thikning of ?

Relichunter

Hi Relichunter,
    date of attack not given. Brackelsham bay was also used for landing practice but for british and canadian troops. I will try and find out more infomation.
    Cheers
    Trevor

Hi Relichunter The wedsite i got the info from has been updated. The tanks were not lost to attack,as you rightly pointed out but to rough sea. The exact date is not known as yet but is between the 3 & 8 of may 44.
    cheers
    Trev
    Last edited by Trevor(Willi); 08-19-2008 at 02:23 PM.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast