Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Buried Spitfire treasure hunt

Article about: I dislike being pessimistic about a potential great find, but I fear that Ned is right. To attract investors, such project are likely to be blown out of proportions with visions of not only

?

Default Buried Spitfire treasure hunt

Hey Guys, just came across this story.
    Hope it's not a load of hogwash.
    Funny to see the headline call them jets

Telstra BigPond News and Weather

Brad.

Default Re: Buried Spitfire treasure hunt

Already been posted here more than once Brad. Don't get holding yer breathe on this one imo. We'll see.

Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

They are leaving tomorrow apparently.... I'll keep my eye on it.

What an adventure. Sounds fun and packed full of excitement or utter dismay. either way i would go!

Was just on the tv news here in W.A. Literally minutes ago, showed the archaeology crew for the UK arriving in Burma!

?

The BBC should send Baldrick and the crew, be great to see a time team special on this one.

Quote by kevinp View Post
    The BBC should send Baldrick and the crew, be great to see a time team special on this one.
    Now that is a brilliant idea! He came out here to do a dig on the Glenrowan Inn site, the last stand of Ned Kelly, it would be great to see a time team show with them excavating these spitfires!

I really hope they find something of the calibre that's been suggested, whole aircraft wrapped in tar paper and sealed in treated wooden containers, but.......Reality and past experience suggest to me that IF (and that's a big IF,) there are any substantial pieces/ whole airframes to be found, they will be in pretty poor shape, and all thoughts of restoring what's found may, in reality, only result in parts that can be utilised in other restorations. The facts are that 99.9% of the time reality does not match up to expectations, and they haven't found anything yet substansive, in all the bore holes with cameras down them, test pits and ground penetrating radar.

I hope I'm wrong, but I feel that if they find anything, it won't be anything near what's been mooted, which is a shame.We'll just have to wait and see....
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

?

I'm inclined to agree Ned.

The only thing I can think of is that some decent things have been found, and that it's been played down to keep the site secure from looters.

Not holding my breath though.

Bare minimum, perhaps some parts and airframes can be salvaged for restorations.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast