Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Buried Spitfire treasure hunt

Article about: I dislike being pessimistic about a potential great find, but I fear that Ned is right. To attract investors, such project are likely to be blown out of proportions with visions of not only

?

Default Re: Buried Spitfire treasure hunt

I dislike being pessimistic about a potential great find, but I fear that Ned is right.
    To attract investors, such project are likely to be blown out of proportions with visions of not only restored but also airworthy Spits dancing before the eyes of any interested parties.

I too, have my concerns. From what I have read the radar surveys have shown 'objects' at 10 - 15 meters below the surface - this seems incredible deep. If you image the number of aircraft they have been talking about then the hole that they would have had to have dug would have been akin to an open mine! That aside, you need to think about the climate over there, which consists of high humidity and monsoon rains, none of which is particularly good for metal preservation. We will have to wait and see what they find!

Quote by Grimebox View Post
    I too, have my concerns. From what I have read the radar surveys have shown 'objects' at 10 - 15 meters below the surface - this seems incredible deep. If you image the number of aircraft they have been talking about then the hole that they would have had to have dug would have been akin to an open mine! That aside, you need to think about the climate over there, which consists of high humidity and monsoon rains, none of which is particularly good for metal preservation. We will have to wait and see what they find!
    All valid points. I wonder what the tonnage of waterlogged soil is on something buried in a pine crate that far underground and allowing for settlement for over 65 years? I'm thinking road roller-pop can here....
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Let's not right off the chance of finding a restorable Spitfire, remember the P 38 Lightnings recovered from beneath 260 feet of ice. I know what you are saying Ned but there's a chance.

The man who is running this project is a farmer from Lincolnshire. He has put a alot of time and effort into this. I heard on BBC Lincolnshire today that the latest is they have found a crate, they have dropped a camera inside but the crate is full of muddy water so it is not possible to confirm what they have found at this stage. They are busy pumping out the water.
    The project manager plans and if found to bring all the Spits home and make them air worthy again.

Good luck to him.

Dropped in a crate of muddy water.... The crews that put those spits in the ground best have corrosion proofed the best they could. If not they may just find slop. Got my fingers cross though.

?

Quote by octavian View Post
    Dropped in a crate of muddy water.... The crews that put those spits in the ground best have corrosion proofed the best they could. If not they may just find slop. Got my fingers cross though.
    As it was deemed too complicated and expensive to bring the brand spanking new planes home to the UK, Im under no illusions, that they bothered to go to any length to water proof the crates and am certainly not holding my breath.
    Am crossing my fingers though;-)

Quote by kevinp View Post
    The BBC should send Baldrick and the crew, be great to see a time team special on this one.
    Two things to mention Kevin, Time team was a channel 4 show not BBC and also they have closed the show down with the last series just being aired at this time.

I hope they do find lots of restorable Spitfires, but I await the results with some doubt, though it would be great to be wrong as waterlogged soils can be an amazing preserver.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

I think Kevin is getting confused with the BBC Series " Blackadder ".

Fingers crossed they find something, it will be a truly momentous find for this blessed Isle of ours !

?

Hi Totty, I only called him Baldrick because I couldn't remember his name (Tony Robinson) at the time, here's the link..BBC News - Burma Spitfire hunters discover crate

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast