Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Buried Spitfire treasure hunt

Article about: I dislike being pessimistic about a potential great find, but I fear that Ned is right. To attract investors, such project are likely to be blown out of proportions with visions of not only

Default Re: Buried Spitfire treasure hunt

The planes "are" in Mitkyina, but this airfield was japanese until the arrival of Gal Stillwell.

Oh dear oh dear......

Not that it wasn't expected but......

BBC News - Search for 'buried Spitfires' in Burma called off

How many more times are people going to chase these stories of intact aircraft/vehicles/weapons being buried in crates at the end of the war ????

They have a lot of money for staying under the sun!!!!

?

Honestly, what a bunch of plonkers they were to go public with all this before finding anything at all, not even written evidence!

?

Comprehensive background article/info about Cundall et al
    Burma's buried Spitfires: the inside story of one man's obsession - Telegraph

Not quite....

The wargaming outfit who were paying for all the equipment and archaeologists have pulled the plug, as was announced a while back when it was starting to look farcical after all they found was a single piece of PSP and some cables that were supplying power to the airport, at a purported cost of near or over £1m. The chap supposedly in charge, a Mr. David Cundall, claimed then they were digging in the wrong place......Really? Obviously no one was listening to him then.

So this 'latest' news is just the same story from back then but re hashed by the press, the game was up 3 weeks ago, as they said at the time when they confirmed they were pulling out.

Meanwhile old Dave has moved on to Myitkyina with his small band of die hards to dig up the 'crate' that he located late last year.

And so it goes on......Interminably it would seem.

Edit: The Telegraph article is another example of re hashed old news, it was written weeks ago.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Oh dear!....

Quote by Gunny Hartmann View Post
    Oh dear!....
    I see the NAAFI's still there though!
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

?

Quote by big ned View Post

Edit: The Telegraph article is another example of re hashed old news, it was written weeks ago.
    I know hence the 'background' bit.

I am totally dumbstruck by one of the things reported. The fact that they know how many aircraft were imported and then subsequently exported !!!! Did no-one think to have a quick look into that 17....15....10. .....5 .....or maybe even a year ago !!! Would have saved a whole heap of money and a whole heap of embarrassment.

Idiotic. Completely idiotic.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5