Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Buried Spitfires to be returned to the UK

Article about: by Stickgrenade Here is said scramble ! A sight to behold!! Spitfire Scramble at Duxford - YouTube Nick That's what I want to come to the UK to see!

Default Re: Buried Spitfires to be returned to the UK

60 - That is a heck of a lot of Spitfires ! - Great story.........!
    Regards,

Steve.

The spitfire was without doubt the most gorgeous fighter aircraft ever built, and there have been some real beauties in the contest. I hope they pull this off in my lifetime. I think you Brits should lobby the Queen to give David Cundall a Knighthood if this thing comes off. Dwight

?

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

Hmmmm...." He says one of his team did put a camera down a borehole previously and saw what they thought was an aeroplane but there was nothing conclusive."

A very cautious, nay, ambiguous statement to put it mildly, compared to what has been trumpeted by these people in the last few months, is reality starting to bite?

Furthermore, does any of the aero buffs here know who Mr. Cundall is, and what experience does he really have in aviation archaeology? I personally have never heard of him before, and that irks me a bit.....

I think it's all going to go tits up if I'm honest. These things have 99.9% never turned out as predicted in the past, the closest yet I reckon being the P-38 'Glacier Girl', which was really an example of how to rescue and re-furb a single airframe when another 10 museum pieces could have been returned to the skies for less money.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

I remember sharply,when i was in the 1st combat helicopter regiment,in Phalsbourg,in 1992,that everybody was sure that at the end of the landing strip,the US air force,when it leaved France after De Gaulle refused to stay in the NATO,in 1966,buried F 86s,F 100,tons of jeeps,trucks,etc.
    When i asked why not to ship them to the very close german air force bases,nobody replied to me.
    For me this was one of the multiple fairy tales we have in France ,regarding the forgotten,lost and undiscovered for decades,WW2 heritage.

Bad news im afraid,
    Article in todays paper.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Buried Spitfires to be returned to the UK  

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3