Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Burtonwood Airfield Find

Article about: Now you are showing your age Dan Cheers, Ade (Not the only old fart on the forum)

Default Re: Burtonwood Airfield Find

Now you are showing your age Dan

Cheers, Ade (Not the only old fart on the forum)
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Quote by Adrian Stevenson View Post
    Cheers, Ade (Not the only old fart on the forum)
    Ahem...! hahaha

Hey bikerboyz

Glad to see you've ID'd the cap. They are quite a common find on airfields for obvious reasons. The 'Tri-sure' is a brand that is seen more often than not and it's great to see one in situ I'd take some pictures of the ones I have but all my stuff is packed away as I am moving house in a few weeks !

I've dropped you a PM about your site.

Cheers

Steve T

?

great find Dan rgds Dave

I figured it to be a fuel drum cap, a real bugger to shift if you don't have the tool and are giving it a go with thumbs only!

?

Well at least it’s a nice period fuel drum cap! So a nice find after all that without this forum might have been consigned to the scrap pile. When all the demolition was going on around Header House the contractors were digging up all sorts, but had to call the authorities in every time they found anything and it was all taken away to be destroyed. Apparently there was a bit of a panic when they discovered several of these drums buried close to the M62 I believe. Seems Burtonwood had a storage facility for chemical weapons during WW2 including mustard gas and the British authorities, knowing the American propensity for burying anything they didn’t want to take home, were seriously worried that some of this buried material could be contaminated – hence the draconian rules for the contractors – I did hear that the drums found, though empty, did indeed test positive!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2