Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

chain hook thing, what is this?

Article about: just digging in a differant area than usual, away from the dump, so I dig on grass this time and uncover 100's of batterys but underneath them a hook sticking out so I yank it out and a stra

Default chain hook thing, what is this?

just digging in a differant area than usual, away from the dump, so I dig on grass this time and uncover 100's of batterys but underneath them a hook sticking out so I yank it out and a strange chain thing with 2 hooks hanging from it, id say its 1 meter long, theres a weird circular thing I found too that looks like a grill but no idea. also found some really nice bottles and a one with weird writing "Stores Ref no, Section 33 C/288 Contract / Stores 8047 / C.34 (c) is it military related? damn shame its smashed found it near a 1942 dated plate (also smashed
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture chain hook thing, what is this?   chain hook thing, what is this?  

chain hook thing, what is this?   chain hook thing, what is this?  

chain hook thing, what is this?  

Default Re: chain hook thing, what is this?

The stone ware jar does have an RAF stores ref number.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

mpw
    ?

Good finds. Interesting that the Paterson bottle has an external screw stopper thread but has a cork in place. Probably re-used when first emptied. Not for drinking out of though as J. Paterson of the Clensel works, Orr St, Glasgow was a manufacturer of bleach, ammonia etc.

Regards, Mark.

?

The chain thing looks a bit like what we used to use back in the day to secure loads to trucks, called a "dog and chain." These were secured by a large steel bar for leverage, and locked by a hook attachment through the chain links. At one metre though, it's a little shorter than I remember.

Best Regards,

Andy
    Best Regards,

Andy

[COLOR=#ffa07a]
    [/COLOR][CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000][SIZE=3]URGENTLY LOOKING FOR: 1982 era Argentine military issue goggles. Fravida 109, and "Sanbuee" French lens type
    [/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER]
    [CENTER][COLOR=#ff8c00][SIZE=3]

[/SIZE]Have a look at my 20+ (so far, work in progress) albums for lots of M1's, rare liners and other stuff, including WW2British helmets, Falklands battlefield pickup helmets and let me know what you think!
    [/COLOR][/CENTER]

cool thx for info, went back to same place and unfortunatly (for me) i've found another odd thing im curious about, its bakelite made and says "RESIST(W)1251275" on it. 2 antigas tubes and a horseshoe which I would love to clean up but how would I go about doing this? would WD40 work or?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture chain hook thing, what is this?   chain hook thing, what is this?  

The chain is actually part of a horse drawn plowing rig. It fits the wooden bar (called the 'tree', singletree or doubletree depending on the horse set up) behind the draft horse or horses onto the equipment (plow, harrow, scuffle, swather etc.) and is adjustable to fit each different piece of machinery. The long hooks would have had an adjustable iron locking piece or 'clevis', that is missing here, to secure the rig to the correct length.

As for the horseshoe, a light scrubbing with a wire brush to just remove the dirt and loose rust is enough. Anymore and you'll rub all the luck out of it! You could paint it or oil/laquer it, but I wouldn't bother, it'll last longer than you, and your kids, and grand kids just as it is. Hang it above the door with the heels of the shoe upwards so that the luck doesn't run out....and you're set.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Looks like you have some interesting finds.
    section 33/c is RAF stores reference for general chemicals.
    Cheers
    Hangarman

Quote by brataccas View Post
    Ref no, Section 33 C/288 Contract / Stores 8047 / C.34 (c) is it military related? damn shame its smashed found it near a 1942 dated plate (also smashed

Quote by Adrian Stevenson View Post
    The stone ware jar does have an RAF stores ref number.

Cheers, Ade.
    awesome Ive actually lost that piece but I dont care because I was digging today and found a complete one!! no chips or any damage plus it looks sweet! heres some pics: