Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here

Colours of Pak 40

Article about: Please, what color were the Pak40 used in the Italian campaign in the summer of 1944? Is possible that some were completely green? Which are the RAL? RAL of that time are the current ones? M

federico
    ?

Default Colours of Pak 40

Please, what color were the Pak40 used in the Italian campaign in the summer of 1944? Is possible that some were completely green? Which are the RAL? RAL of that time are the current ones?
    Many Tanks, federico

Default Re: Colours of Pak 40

Hi Federico, welcome to the forum!

By the summer of 1944 the gun would have been painted Dunkelgelb RAL 7028 (dark tan yellow).

Cheers, Ade.

Ade, it's scarey that you know the paint code number for a Pak gun in 1944. That's deep brother!

I never thought of it like that. But in my early teenage years I used to make 1/35th scale model vehicles etc so knowing about paints comes from there.

Cheers, Ade.

It's correct to say that a weapon or AFV would be issued from the factory in a certain colour but German troops in the field were very keen on adding colours and patterns of camouflage for the local terrain and climate - particularly later in the war. Check out period photos for the time/place to get an idea.

The German system of paint camo was designed to be very flexible. Prior to 1943, all vehicles, guns, etc were delivered in field grey paint.

After 1943, Dunkelgelb became the standard base colour for all equipment. Units were then supplied with green and brown paints in paste form. Like shoe polish. These could then be applied over the base colour as local conditions dictated to get the best possible camo scheme. The paints were designed to be thinned with gasoline and could be spray painted or applied with a brush. However, gas was becoming increasing in short supply: so the paints got thinned with waste gas or oil or even tried with water or applied neat. As a result the colour shades varied by a huge degree.

Cheers, Ade.

?

RAL7028 Dunkelgelb was used for everything it seems- I've got two SlfZf1a1 sights (Sturmgeschütz, Hornisse, Ferdinand, etc.) and even a 20L Kraftstoffkanister with it as the base colour.
    Ohhhhh- pillage then burn...

Question Re: Colours of Pak 40

Matt,

What color for 8.8cm HE FLAK projectiles?

Rich

?

Unfortunately I have no idea Rich- I've never seen a documentary source list the code(s).
    Ohhhhh- pillage then burn...