Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Crash site Baltic sea

Article about: What I find disturbing is where is the rest of it? no large castings or wing sections apparent? There are a couple of interesting items there that need further examination. On the video you

Default Re: Crash site Baltic sea

The engines standig on the bottom are complete . I talked to my divebuddies and it can very vell be a V12 engines we are talking about.
    I just cleaned this item upp . I think its from the coolingsystem.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Crash site Baltic sea   Crash site Baltic sea  

?

Sorry Ned - The film spool cover does not look like part of a G45 film cartridge - It looks like a film spool for a large hand-held camera such as would have been used for reconnaisance or bomb damage recording. The photos don't show much due to silt and marine growth, though I can see some tubular structure that appears to be engine bearer or undercarriage, wth a bracket that reminds me of something I have seen on a Halifax crash site - but that is only an educated guess.

The pipe junction is definitely from the cooling system of a large liquid cooled engine and I have certainly found such pipework on Halifax and Lancaster sites - but then Hurricanes used the same fittings too! - any more finds with inspection stamps or part numbers?

is it possible to recover old film footage to somehow watch again from relic aircraft? prob a really dumb question...

Quote by brataccas View Post
    is it possible to recover old film footage to somehow watch again from relic aircraft? prob a really dumb question...
    Not a dumb question at all If the film spool is still intact and no water or light has got in, the film should develop fine. If it's buried in the silt it may have survived, so long as it survived the crash of course.

The cartridges are definitely British 303s. I think your 'IM' may actually read 'WI'.......you've read it upside down 'WI' is for armour piercing mark 1 cartridges. Also, are you sure it doesn't say 'DAC' ? DA is a 303 manufacturer but I can't find reference to them ever producing AP rounds.

Your other item with the code 5B is part of the aircraft wiring assembly. The gauge face you have looks like it still has some of the radioactive paint on it. Keep it in a glass cabinet and don't let anyone suck it !

Steve T

Heres a pic of the marking on the bottom of the cartridge. Theres probably a correct English word for it that i dont know. were planing a new dive tomorrow
    any hint what to look for to make a better identification ?
    Really great how people helps you out on this site ! Thanks!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Crash site Baltic sea  

?

Your English is perfect - the markings are usually known as headstamps - I'm sure someone on here will tell you excatly what they mean - sorry my book is in storage! - As for relics - it is difficult as the aircraft is obviously well broken up, either by the crash, fishing nets or post crash salvage, so ther is unlikely to be recognisable aircraft fuselage shapes to photo, even if visibility is good. Confirming the number and type of engines would help - Earlier Merlins have a brass plate on the left hand side of the crank case (below the cylinders). Also the type of propeller - metal or wood blades and how many and length of blades, photos of the hub if you can see one. The undercarriage is usually pretty specific to an aircraft type too and heavy steel on most bombers, so tends to survive, probably too big to raise so photos good.

As for parts to raise - instruments tend to be common to many aircraft, so though nice finds, do not usually help. Instrument panels could be good, but unlikley finds. Any part of the actual aircraft structure that looks to be a complete component - ie. not broken, should have inspection and makers marks, but they are small and unlikely to be seen until cleaned - so bag a few small peices and hope for the best when cleaned.

Cowling and removable panels often have the aircraft's serial number on the inside to aid replacement on the correct aircraft when servicing - the aircraft were hand built and panels often did not fit as well if swapped around. Sometimes these are stamped on, but more usually stencilled in paint - so take care cleaning.

Good luck and look forward to seeing the results

As Nick said but I would add that anything with a ID plate attached to it may be of help. These sometimes carry registrations of the aircraft and details of type etc.

kc1
    ?

How far from Penemunde is this crash site? The camera could be a bomb hit device which i believe a flash was dropped after the main bombing load. To take the pictures mean't continuing to fly straight and level in the target area just that bit longer which crews didn't like to do being hazardous. These cameras were not fitted to early bombers so if thats what it is i think it must be a post 1943 wreck? Do bear in mind that the wreck is still owned by the Ministry of Defence and until the opposite is proved should be treated as a war grave.

Thanks for the picture of the headstamp.

It does indeed read 'DAC' and 'WI' as I suspected. WI is for armour piercing, DAC is for Dominion Arsenal, Quebec, Canada. The date is the year of manufacture.

A nice Canadian made 303 cartridge

Steve T

Hi! Back from another trip at the Wrecksite.
    The enigens are Most likely Stirling enigens.
    The propellers ,which are broken of, was made of wood.
    We think we can see traces of black and grey paint on some of the larger parts.
    We belive we found the rear wheel.
    Moore pics tomorrow. I also have 5Min video id like to show, but i dont know how ,need a litlle help if someone wants to see it.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Crash site Baltic sea   Crash site Baltic sea  

Crash site Baltic sea  

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast