Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

DESERT P 40 Kittyhawk vandalised

Article about: He guys , This is what makes me sad and mad . Have a good look at this You Tube video and photos . Sure looks to me the plane's windshield and side plexiglass was all there before the video

Default DESERT P 40 Kittyhawk vandalised

He guys ,
    This is what makes me sad and mad . Have a good look at this You Tube video and photos . Sure looks to me the plane's windshield and side plexiglass was all there before the video was taken . I believe they were all taken by the same bunch of oil company workers.
    Here's the links ;

Egyptian Desert Kittyhawk - Found March 2012 - YouTube

Quote; " A fighter plane from World War II that crashed in the Sahara 70 years ago has been unearthed, and holds clues to a missing pilot.
    The Telegraph reports that the intact American-made Curtiss Kittyhawk P-40, which had remained untouched since its crash landing in 1942, was discovered by a Polish oil company worker, Jakub Perka, who was exploring a remote region of the Western Desert in Egypt, about 200 miles from the nearest town.
    It is believed that the airman, Flight Sergeant Dennis Copping, 24, initially survived the crash, because a parachute found at the scene looks to have been used as a makeshift shelter. But no trace of the body was found, leaving experts to believe the pilot walked away from the flight, then walked to his death in a hopeless attempt to find civilization.
    A military historian, noting that there would be no reason on earth to have found the plane in the middle of the desert, hailed the find as " a quite incredible time capsule, the aviation equivalent of Tutankhamun's Tomb."
    The Canadian website Vintage Wings of Canada said the plane was in "incredible condition," but worried about looters to the site, which happens to be on a dangerous smuggling route between Sudan and Libya.
    Vintage Wings also notes that the serial number appears to be ET574, a plane previously flown by Canadian pilot Stocky Edwards. The website adds, "To say we, at Vintage Wings, are excited by this find in an understatement."
    A search is planned to locate the missing pilot's body, but officials don't believe that any remains will be found. Eventually, the aircraft will be moved to London's Royal Air Force Museum.
    World War II fighter plane found in Sahara | Photo Gallery - Yahoo! News "

Guess it was well preserved until discovered by this bunch - what a shame .
    Cheers

samo

Default Re: DESERT P 40 Kittyhawk vandalised

Interesting.

Lol - This is nowhere near the equivalence of finding Tutankamun's tomb, IMO.
    In the scheme of things, downed planes are found rather often.

I recall the discovery of half a dozen fully equipped USAAF P-38 'Lightning'
    aircraft under Arctic ice not that long ago.........
    Regards,

Steve.

I don't see why this makes you mad? I'm glad they found it and hopefully they find the body and give the pilot a proper burial.

Regards, Corey

I think its the massive amount of publicity and press that has led to it being overhyped as a totally unique and very rare find which has in turn resulted in it being damaged by idiots. Yes its a fascinating piece of history and in remarkable condition, but nothing too out of the ordinary, theres preserved wreckage all over the place

Thanks

Danny

Quote by Walkwolf View Post
    Not mad, sir. Simply stating fact........

No Steve, I agree with you! I was referring to what Papageno said.

regards, Corey

Lol - oops.........!
    Regards,

Steve.

I'll be plain. I think the same people that discovered the plane -for which I'm real happy about- also did some work on the Kittyhawks plexiglass in order to gain access to the cockpit .
    That is what makes me sad .
    Cheers
    samo

I am dismayed that this subject is being re hashed once again, it is already here and has been discussed in detail. Furthermore, of the 3 or 4 other threads concerning it that have cropped up, nearly all are from 1st time posters, what is their agenda, "look at me...I have something important to share"? They haven't even bothered to do a search to see if this subject was already extant, and that's poor drills.

The link below covers all that has been said above and much, much more, including video and photographs of the aircraft before and after the local Gyppo's started turning it into razor blades. There has also been a lot of unfortunate naming of the presumed pilot before it has been 100% confirmed it is him that was flying the aircraft. Yes, it is most likely F/Sgt. Copping, but bandying his name around up to 3 weeks ago is abhorrent to me as it could have raised hopes with surviving family/relatives it is his aircraft when then it was nowhere near as certain as it is looking now. FFS, even the top photo of the alledged pilot Copping on page 10 is not even him, it's another pilot in the same squadron that the papers PRESUMED was F/Sgt. Copping, this is the kind of s*** i'm on about, guess work and poor research swallowed by the masses.

Finally, the replies above make me think that the posters, or at least some of them, have not even read the original and most concise thread of all here, and even that one is fallible in many places.

A little something in the Sahara!

Try reading ALL of it.

Rant over.

Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Hey Ned,
    Sorry for not reading all the posts. Did look but have missed your observations. You're up late Ned , perhaps you should go to bed and let it be . It's obvious lack of sleep is no good for you and make you grumpy .
    Don't feel bad though , every forum has it's "regulators" who make sure "freedom of speech " is respected and no-one is discriminated against.

Cheers
    samo

Quote by Papageno View Post
    Hey Ned,
    Sorry for not reading all the posts. Did look but have missed your observations. You're up late Ned , perhaps you should go to bed and let it be . It's obvious lack of sleep is no good for you and make you grumpy .
    Don't feel bad though , every forum has it's "regulators" who make sure "freedom of speech " is respected and no-one is discriminated against.

Cheers
    samo
    Perhaps your up to early, seeing as you have missed the photo's of the aircraft as originally found, canopy and armoured windscreen intact, then smashed and bullet riddled?

The bullet holes that have mysteriously appeared in the port cowling, the ring and bead gunsight that has been ripped off?

The aileron that has been removed and left lying in the sand?

It's all there in the before and after photo's and videos, but you 'Missed these observations'? You need to try harder mate, and as for your presuming I'm discriminating against you, far from it, all I would suggest is you acquaint yourself fully with what has already been said. Afterall, you have shown you're not overly interested in the subject that YOU raised here, as you can't be bothered to read the thread in it's entirety, and that says volumes about yourself and way of thinking.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.