Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Digging near ww2 coastal pillboxes, weird big relic...

Article about: I was going to make a really sarcastic, but really witty remark but i relented because you are right about the dangers of asbestos fibres, but i still think your a ray of sunshine and doom a

?

Default Re: Digging near ww2 coastal pillboxes, weird big relic...

I think Davejb has it, definitely aircraft and the extrusions look like Wellington geodetic. I think it may well be from the main wing spar, where the structure was doubled up for strength. This pic is of a Wellington in Wales, if you look inside the wing you can just make it out:
    Vickers Wellington MF509 - 02 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Actually, having looked into this a bit more, I am also coming down to the airframe idea:

Digging near ww2 coastal pillboxes, weird big relic...

That's incredibly similar, even to my sceptical mind. It's the same Wellington crash site at Carreg Goch.

Rob

wow awesome posts that pic certainly matches! O_O going back tomorrow to find some more bits!

Nice work guys.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

were ww2 planes built with fibreglass? Ive found a rather big piece that looks like an aircraft nose or the bit where the propeller mounts onto but at the same time it doesnt look like its from an aircraft... ill film it and upload on youtube to show...

material of this piece is weird, I think its fibreglass but not sure....

?

Fibreglass was around during WW2 but it was not really used to the extent that it is these days mainly as the resin technology for making the finished laminations were still in the development stage. As to being a nose cone then yes this is possible as certain night fighters and aircraft equipped with nose cone Radar used just such materials.

Nige.
    "Now, I've designed this like a collapsing bag ! "

thanks for the info I got a video I filmed of that fibreglass type part here:

unknown fibreglass? relic dug from ww2 beach - YouTube

looks as though things bolt onto it with those holes(?)

also found I assume is an engine piece? its stamped 77005 with a diagonal symbol above the numbers, video of it here:

relic found in ww2 beach, engine part? uk - YouTube

hopefully someone can help me ID the 2 bits

thx

Interesting bits. Can't help ID them I'm afraid but wanted to post to make sure that 'fibreglass' part isn't asbestos. It looks similar to asbestos items I've found in the past......same colour, same 'corrosion' and same kind of damage. Be careful with it as an awful lot of aircraft parts were made of asbestos compounds.

Steve T

oh shit :O

Don't worry brataccas. You were handling it outside and it looked fairly 'stable'. If you did take it home with you though, have another look at it. If it has distinct whitish/grey fibres, it's probably an asbestos compound and needs dumping. Wrap it in a couple of bin liners and dispose of it safely. You can keep some asbestos items but you have to seal them with a thick coat of varnish or something similar.

If it's still at the site, forget about it.....you'll be fine

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast