Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Do 17 crash info sought.

Article about: Hi im once again looking for some info on a crash local to me,the only info that i have is a possible pane number and date, i have tried google etc but so far have come up with a blank. Plan

Default Do 17 crash info sought.

Hi im once again looking for some info on a crash local to me,the only info that i have is a possible pane number and date, i have tried google etc but so far have come up with a blank.
    Plane is a dornier 17 and the werk number is 2651, it crashed on 15/09/1940 outside of sturry kent, this info is sketchy at best, the info is taken from a wikipedia page about sturry village.
    If anyone can help i would appreciate it. Thanks in advance,martin.

Default Re: Do 17 crash info sought.

Hi Martin and welcome to the forum.

This info comes from 'The Battle Of Britain-Then and Now.' by After the Battle Publications.

Page 647.

Sunday 15th September 1940.

3/KG76

Dornier Do17Z (2651) Shot down by Sergeants Jeffreys and Hurry of No.46 Squadron, Pilot Officer Bodie and Flight Lieutenant Gillies of No.66 Squadron and Flight Lieutenant Pollard and Flight Lieutenant Leather of No.611 Squadron in combat over Kent 12.40 p.m.

Crashed north of Sturry, Oberfw.Niebler, Fw.Wissmann and Uffz.Schatz killed. Oblt.Wilke and Uffz.Zremer captured. Aircraft F1+FL a write off.

As an aside,

46 Squadron North Weald

Hurricane N2599. Returned to base with slight damage to starboard mainplane following combat over London 12.30 p.m. Sergeant C.A.L. Hurry unhurt. Aircraft repairable. Hurry was shot down 3 days later(18th September) over Chatham at 12.56 p.m. and bailed out wounded and burned. He was admitted to Chatham hospital and took no further part in the battle.

Friday October 3rd 1940.

66 Squadron Gravesend

Spitfire X4320. Missing following interception of He 111 off east coast 4.00 p.m. Crashed into sea. Flight Lieutenant K. McL.Gillies killed (washed ashore at Covehithe 21/10/40) Aircraft lost.

Hope this helps.

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Thankyou very much! I have a fair idea of where it came down, i will get over there with a metal detector when the weather allows, i will have a look at the rules regulating this, as i understand it ground walking with a metal detector is ok.
    I havent seen any reports of aviation groups investigating this particular site,I will see if i can find the landowner and see if its ok.
    Thanks once again. Martin.

My understanding is different to yours Martin. All aircraft crash sites are covered by the Protection of Military Remains act 1986 and, as such, this Act defines an offence of tampering with, damage to, moving, or unearthing the aircraft remains. Exceptions apply to those holding licences, which can be issued by the Secretary of State, authorising specific procedures to be performed.

In other words, even taking items from the surface without the appropriate licence is unlawful, let alone digging for them with the help of an MD !

Be careful.......

Steve T

Ok, thanks for the advice! I will look at the pmr act and see where i stand before i speak to the landowner, this particular site sparked my interest because the other sites local to me have been well documented over the years and i couldnt find anything on this one, one or two others local to me i need to research as well.
    I may contact the museum at hawkinge, the chap there is more than helpful.
    Cheers,martin.

Here's the Wiki entry for the PMR act.

Protection of Military Remains Act 1986 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

EDIT:
    I can't find a copy/explanation of the PMR act in any of the relevant forums. Would the mod's consider making a sticky of the act from either the above info, or a copy of the act itself? I think it would be informative to would-be-detectorists/diggers who have permission to check out crash sites from landowners but are not versed in the correct laws that are applicable to this subject. It could help save a lot of trouble for some folks.

Regards, Ned.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Thankyou very much for your help, its much appreciated.

?

According 'The Blitz then and Now' Vol 2 the site was located by Steve Vizard and 'fragments unearthed' If it had buried itself he would have dug it up! Not much was missed although there will still be little bits.

Quote by ian_ View Post
    According 'The Blitz then and Now' Vol 2 the site was located by Steve Vizard and 'fragments unearthed' If it had buried itself he would have dug it up! Not much was missed although there will still be little bits.
    You're right about Steve Vizard, that guy doesn't miss much! He's legendary for re-digging sites already dug and finding amazing things that others have missed, a real pro for sure. Looking at the surviving crew members, there's a good chance it crash landed I guess, so no major parts would be left.

I would much rather find an "ol boy" still knocking around and just have a good chat and a pint!! That said a rusty old relic would still "flick" my switch!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast