Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Dornier 17 - Goodwin Sands to be raised on 4th May 2013

Article about: As reported on the BBC news this morning (3rd May 2013), the crash wreck on Goodwin Sands of the German Do 17 is to be raised on the 4th. Dornier 17 conservation | Whats going on? | Cosford

Default Re: Dornier 17 - Goodwin Sands to be raised on 4th May 2013

Quote by Lenny Warren View Post
    So, without starting a bun fight, what's the opinion on the best way to display? Halt any degredation and preserve what's there as a wreck, or partial or full restoration??????
    Good question Lenny. IMO, it should be at LEAST a part resto, something like the Loch Ness Wellington is what i'm thinking, if only to give today's pretty clueless generation what the real thing actually looked like. That's the least they should do considering it's the only surviving example anywhere in the world and is a genuine BoB combatant, that's not something you'll find everyday.

Hang the expense...!
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Quote by big ned View Post
    Good question Lenny. IMO, it should be at LEAST a part resto, something like the Loch Ness Wellington is what i'm thinking, if only to give today's pretty clueless generation what the real thing actually looked like. That's the least they should do considering it's the only surviving example anywhere in the world and is a genuine BoB combatant, that's not something you'll find everyday.

Hang the expense...!
    Sadly, Its pretty beat up. Expectation was very high.
    If the other engines, propellers etc.. are still there, i think they should bring them back up.

Agreed about the partial restoration, IMHO... I'm already excited about seeing this historic aircraft...
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Dornier 17 - Goodwin Sands to be raised on 4th May 2013   Dornier 17 - Goodwin Sands to be raised on 4th May 2013  

Quote by big ned View Post
    Hang the expense...!
    It's such an important aircraft, considering the guff that money is spent on in this country, we should as you say hang the expense, preserve it...

Quote by NunoGTI View Post
    If the other engines, propellers etc.. are still there, i think they should bring them back up.
    I think she's in pretty good condition considering how fragile the original aircraft was, the fact it's obviously ground looped and the years that have passed. I'm excited to see what she looks like once the corrosion has been treated... I wouldn't like to see it looking pristine, with a high percentage of replica parts and modern paint, she's a grand old lady that's had a hard life, sympathetic preservation and display IMHO...

Quote by NunoGTI View Post
    Hi Nuno,

It's actually far better than I was expecting, I was thinking it could possibly disintegrate or at least break apart in several places as the thing was not a particularly robust design. As for all the bits that dropped off before and during the recovery, I can guarantee that they'll pick up every last bit they can find.....But not today!
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Great to see.

I am of the same opinion as Ned. She does not look too bad considering. Like Lenny, I would like to see the sympathetic preservation and display route followed.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

?

Condition is really about as good as could expected - afraid it will look even worse as all that undersea flora and fauna dies off as the skinning is usually the first to go, but it must still have some structural integrity not to have broken up, especially with the weight of the engines still attached - I understand plans are well advanced for the conservation, but like the Mary Rose it will be a while before we see the results - lets hope the money doesn't run out and we end up with another like the Halifax

Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Dornier 17 - Goodwin Sands to be raised on 4th May 2013  

?

Looking at it I agree a partial restoration would be the best way to go. Straighten out the fuselage, attach any pieces that have fallen off, remove the aquatic growth and corrosion etc.

That's about as far as I would like to see it go in all honesty. Looking at the integrity of the skin, the airframe I don't think it would be worth doing any more. You can't rebuild it and paint what's left to make it all new and shiny again because so little of the original aircraft is usable you might as well build a new one from scratch.

Mend what's left as far as possible. Strengthen, preserve, stand back and admire.

Obviously because it's the only one maybe a full size model could be displayed alongside it to show what it did look like or even parts thereof but it's easy to speculate. It's not my money..........

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

?

I am pleasantly surprised to see the condition that she is in. Well done to the salvage crew, great work!

Regarding "what to do next?", I agree with Ned - at least partial reconstruction. Or, preserve her as she is (once cleaned up) and build a new one from scratch to sit next to her - money obviously is no object in my imagination

Great to see it though, simply great.

Regards,

Carl

p.s. Ned, hope you made it to the lav mate!

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast