Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

First time using a meteldetector, found a grenade

Article about: Hej dér, fellow Dane :-) Thanks for telling me that; I didn't know that. I haven't served myself so that's interesting to hear. Do you also do some searching with a metal detector? Sincerely

Default First time using a meteldetector, found a grenade

Hello all,
    I just wanted to share my first experience using a metaldetector. 3 weeks ago my Dad gave me his metaldetector (thanks Dad) and we went to a lake where, during war time, the Germans had an airfield there. (After the war the Danish government used the airfield as well).

I live in Denmark, and the airfield is located in Værløse. Nowadays, it's left to rot, but it's all fenced in.

Right outside the fence, I turned the detector on, and 10 minutes later, I found a grenade, all intact. At first I thought is was a german egg-grenade, but it proved to be a Danish M54 drill-grenade ( I was later told). I must admit I was pretty scared when I found out, it was a grenade ;-). We called the cops and they took care of it.
    Other than that, we found alot of empty cartridge-shells. I think they were Danish as well. It won't be the last time going up there, but we need to be careful I guess.

Anyways, bye bye,
    Kimo
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture First time using a meteldetector, found a grenade   First time using a meteldetector, found a grenade  

First time using a meteldetector, found a grenade   First time using a meteldetector, found a grenade  

Default Re: First time using a meteldetector, found a grenade

Very nice, but frightening find for your first time out You did the right thing reporting it to the police though

Thanks

Danny

I was, with huge interest, reading the post about digging in Kurland earlier, and that must be very dangerous digging in that area. I hope they take care.
    I have a friend in Germany who lost his best friend due to a 88mm. shell he found and accidently detonated it. The hole was 6 meters wide, 5 meters deep and they couldn't find anything of him. Terrible story.

take care,
    Kimo666

Now that proves the big bang theory

Nice find Kimo and the right action to take. Can you post pics of your other finds please. We would love to see them

Steve T

Hello,
    Sorry for the delay. I have taken a couple of pictures of the shellcasings. On the back on them (as far as I can see) it reads: AMA 88. So these must be some newer shellcasings. I am afraid it's not as impressive as some of the other findings you can find on this site :-)
    Mfg.

?

nice find

Kimo

Nice finds The numerals on them are almost certainly the manufacture date, making them relatively modern cartridges. Also, the style of crimp on the blanks indicates they are quite modern.

As for you thinking they are not as impressive as other finds, I don't believe this is the case. Every ground dug find has its own history and importance and you should be proud of your finds, regardless of what era they come from.

Well done on finding them ! Without you they would be lost forever.

Steve T

Hey Steve,
    Thanks for your kind words :-) And thanks for the info on the shells.
    Hopefully, in July, I will be able to travel to the Danish island of Bornholm to search this place. I will ofcourse report it on this site, if I am lucky :-).

?

Hej Kimo666. Looks to me like a 'hot' grenade, not a dummy. I have served i the Danish army as a engineer soldier, an dummy grenades is painted blue. All dummy ammo is painted blue. Always... Nice find my fellow Dane. Cartridges is 9mm and 7.62 x 51 blanks.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast