Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

found churchills and m10 bulldog

Article about: I bags first ride in the drivers seat when she's rebuilt! I just love Churchill tanks, you can keep your Shermans and Tigers, give me a Churchill ANYTIME Regards etc Ian D

Default Re: found churchills and m10 bulldog

hi fella's
    thanks for the advise dave ,i might take a drive down there,sounds interesting,i remember going to anzio camp in leek when i was an army cadet in 84'but can't recall seeing any armour but that was a long time ago and i wasn't as keen on armour as i am now.
    by the way dave are we gonna keep the chieftain at your house or mine,i know i said ww2 or nothing but there's no harm in being flexible.

all the best
    eddy

not sure about anzio i was booting about there twenty years ago but when i saw the hulks i had to have a mooch , its right opposite a famous climbing rock face .the area is not large has a few farmhouses and a grenade range right off the main road i will consult the maps again and google earth just thought it would be worth a trip other than otterburn .

eddy i have a car port that i can park it in and if the neighbours object i will have to clean the barrel in their genreal direction ,on another serious note have you visited the tank place on the isle of wight you could spend your holidays helping them out and the family can hit the beach all the best with your search keep us all posted , dave

hi dave
    i know it's a long shot but do you know where the wrecks were in relation to each other ie. in an east-west line together,totally seperate,near the range road that kind of thing it's just that if i go and down and find one, it could lead to the others although i will speak to the range wardens first.
    i like the idea of a holiday to the i of w museum trouble is i don't know how i should tell the other half,maybe something like:- let's go on holiday, you play with the kids and i'll play with the tanks.you never know she might go for it.

cheers eddy

eddy,
    sorry it was about 1994/5 since i was in the area if i find anything else out i will give you a shout good hunting , dave. if you do get over to the isle of wight vistit bembridge harbour there are two house boats moored together and ones a hotel one was an MTB the other a MGB .

hi fella's
    thought i might post another couple of pics from warcop showing the m10 achilles,pretty shot up, but the final drive assembly would certainly provide some good spares also the glacis plate looks very straight and could be used for another project,incidentally i'm surprised nobody has pulled me up for calling it a bulldog by mistake.

all the best

eddy
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture found churchills and m10 bulldog   found churchills and m10 bulldog  

an end rather than sad for these warriors

i have no doubt that the m10 or more accurately parts from it will be used to restore other m10's or sherman variants that's the reason i was on warcop taking the pics,so in some ways it will live on,but it is sad to see all those tanks shot up so badly,but look at it this way if there weren't being used on the range they would have been cut up and melted down 50 years ago.
    here's another wreck although not from warcop.a very nice or was churchill mk4 with applique armour(that's the up armour patches welded on that you can see).i believe this could be restored as the hull is very straight but i'm afraid it would take a better man than me to tackle it, let's hope someone out there is daft enough ,sorry i mean brave enough to try.

eddy
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture found churchills and m10 bulldog   found churchills and m10 bulldog  

found churchills and m10 bulldog  

hi fella's
    some of you might have guessed that i'm a little impatient and while it's more honourable to recover and restore a range wreck i didn't want to wait any longer for a bit of ww2 armour so i cheated and bought one, a rather nice mk1 universal carrier for restoration,it's still in the states so i've no pics but i'lll start a restoration thread when it arrives.

all the best

eddy

Quote by eddy8men View Post
    hi fella's
    some of you might have guessed that i'm a little impatient and while it's more honourable to recover and restore a range wreck i didn't want to wait any longer for a bit of ww2 armour so i cheated and bought one, a rather nice mk1 universal carrier for restoration,it's still in the states so i've no pics but i'lll start a restoration thread when it arrives.

all the best

eddy
    Hey mate, great. i look forward to see those photos.
    Best regards
    Nuno

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast