Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Found a pocketwatch on omaha

Article about: Thanks very much for your words about my very modest person Dave.Sometimes i do start like a forest fire,this was the case here. You know guys,as a member of some french collectors forum,i h

Tom2
    ?

Default Re: Found a pocketwatch on omaha

I am happy Dave found his dental plate. Some time in the near future some relic hunter combing the beach would have found it and perhaps felt it to be a rather shocking and personal relic! Horrifying mental images of someone losing it in ghastly circumstances would have swirled thru their minds!

As Lithgow said, i think that this pocket watch was probably not associated with the D-day landings, as wristwatches were much more common.

Funny, this is pretty much what everyone thinks when they find something on a battlefield, that it is immediately related to the battle. For all we know, if Dave hadn't found his dental plate, the person who would have found it would probably associate it to the d-day landings!

Regards,
    Finn

I’m a bit disappointed in some members posted on this thread. Is there really any need to give this new member such a hard time? After all selling is not banned on this forum, indeed some members openly link to their ebay sites.
    So why is it so hard to understand that he might want to know a value? Surely it’s up to him if he were to sell it.
    That side, to me it just sounds like he wants info and to know peoples thoughts..

Ok boys!let me try to put the things in perspective.
    What is june the 6 th?
    A common date?
    No,we all know what it's all about,the beginning of the end for the third reich,and the end for 3000 joung American,British soldiers.In my modest opinion,impossible to deal with a thing connected to this date,endex,the one who has something to argue is the welcome.By the way,this digged items are taken out from my homeland soil,a wonderful amusement park for the ones that didn't suffered 4 years of nazi's presence...

Seb I respect your view but I think that is rather a very narrow perspective.

Yes June 6th was a great turning point and very sad day, but it is just one date in the 6 years of ww2 and just 3000 out of 62 to 78 million military and civilian dead over the whole war.
    If we all applied your logic then no battlefield should be dug or explored and no item found should be sold.

I feel that as long as we all treat any bodies found with respect, then it should not be a problem to sell or ask for a value for other items.

Sadly I don’t think errorbugg will post again after the harsh treatment he got; I cant say that I blame him for that. But it does mean that we now may miss out on seeing and hearing about any other items he has or will find and to see how this watch cleans up.

That said, I personally don’t think the watch it has anything to do with D-Day but you never know.
    Last edited by Babyteeth; 07-26-2010 at 12:27 PM.

Quote by Babyteeth View Post
    I’m a bit disappointed in some members posted on this thread. Is there really any need to give this new member such a hard time? After all selling is not banned on this forum, indeed some members openly link to their ebay sites.
    So why is it so hard to understand that he might want to know a value? Surely it’s up to him if he were to sell it.
    That side, to me it just sounds like he wants info and to know peoples thoughts..
    Im with you on this one. I do understand other peoples feelings on this but if relics were never traded then how would some of you people have such good collections?
    P.s.
    I dont think it has anything to do with D Day. But you never know.

Hi guys it is not a watch it is a US compass.

?

Why dont we let errorbug find out by cleaning it up then see if its dated or a watch or compass, We dont know anything yet we are surmising as to what it is, as for pricing an object, he might be asking for insurance purposes, as most of us do in case of theft etc, as for my teeth im glad that i found them that day but the same thing happened again and this time they are sitting at the bottom of my local river where i was fishing, so now there is a pike or perch sporting my gnashers and im being fitted with new ones that fit properly

Chris i agree hope these these pic help some.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Found a pocketwatch on omaha   Found a pocketwatch on omaha  

Quote by ez1969 View Post
    Chris i agree hope these these pic help some.
    Here four that I found on Omaha beach.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Found a pocketwatch on omaha   Found a pocketwatch on omaha  

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast