Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Front of a german aircraft.

Article about: Great bit of detective work Holmes, really first-rate. When I saw the photograph I thought to myself 'why so many rivets?'. So what was attached behind the nose-cone to require so many?

?

Default Re: Front of a german aircraft.

It's not from an He 219. I've never seen such a large amount of rivets in that kind of array pattern before. Very odd.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Front of a german aircraft.  

I agree with Ben, not a He219 but I cant think of anything with that rivet pattern on its nose. I am trying to think of what would need that type of arrangement after this part but so far I cant think of anything.

The rivets are also my stumbling block. Never seen so many on a nose cone.

Quote by Thanatos View Post
    The rivets are also my stumbling block. Never seen so many on a nose cone.
    I have. I don't think this is from a German aircraft at all, I reckon it's British, a Bristol Beaufighter nose cone to be precise. The rectangular hole is for the gun camera, and the other maybe for a radar array/dipole if fitted as they were on nightfighter Beau's.

There were quite a few Beaufighter crashes in the county of Sussex, one at Boxgrove springs to mind, as they were based in the county and neighbouring Surrey at airfields like Tangmere and Redhill. Note on the pic below the almost identical rivet pattern on the lower part of the nose cone and the blanked off camera port.

The colour scheme that is left on the piece is also a good indicator for it being Beaufighter related. As for it being found in a rhubarb patch, that makes a lot of sense. It's an ideal shape for using as a Cloche to "force" rhubarb, a very common practice in those days that has all but died out now except for areas in Yorkshire where it is still grown commercially.

Rhubarb, Rhubarb, Ned.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Front of a german aircraft.   Front of a german aircraft.  

Front of a german aircraft.  
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Ned your a superstar! I reckon you cracked it. That rivet pattern is pretty unique so to see it on the pics there is a real plus, as well as the ports.

Get this man a prize!

Jason

Ned has got it in one!.....

?

Bugger, I was going to suggest a beaufighter

Well done Ned

nice one Ned.

?