Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

German Helmet in English hedge.

Article about: I'm a part-time archaeologist, but have to pay the rent; A couple of days ago I was stripping ivy out of a hedge on the family farm........... wasn't even looking for finds......... but ther

ILH
    ?

Default German Helmet in English hedge.

I'm a part-time archaeologist, but have to pay the rent; A couple of days ago I was stripping ivy out of a hedge on the family farm........... wasn't even looking for finds......... but theres a bit of metal in the way of the bowsaw, waggle it out and stand there stunned for a moment:

Half an M35 or 40 (rolled rim- one rivet is kind of still there, but can't tell if it's loose) German Helmet that someone dropped a grenade, or similar, in.

Metal detecting in the field came up with the usual 'background level'of .303s and, on the far side under three beech trees, some grouped blanks and 'trick-shot-pennies' (bent and stretched by a bullet, but not splattered, so put on end of vertical rifle barrel- not used as target).

General evidence of British soldiers messing about, or the old 'Weapons Safety Demo'?

jim.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture German Helmet in English hedge.   German Helmet in English hedge.  

?

Default Re: German Helmet in English hedge.

wow that must of been a good feeling when you found that what a great surprise

Do you think some one put the helmet ontop of a explosive device instead of somthing in it?

I would imagine its quite rare to find a German helmet in a British hedge! Afterall, even back in the 1940's, the helmet must have been sought after as a collectors item by souvenir hunters etc.

What a remarkable find! Excellent.

Cheers, Ade.

?

great find all i find in hedges are beer bottles and empty coke cans , rgds Dave

Wow what a find, just think if the Brits did that messing about then maybe they did it to more than one helmet. Give the area a good search you never know.
    It gets my vote for the best UK find this month.
    LUCKYSTRIKE

I will check my hedge this afternoon maybe i'm lucky too

cheers,

Congratulations on an unusual find in your home soil.

rgds, Ty

Oh wow ! You totally lucky bugger !

I am very envious.

Next time you go out to strip ivy out of one of the hedges please give me a shout

Steve T

?

Incredible find. (Where's the "envy" smiley?!)

Quote by Steve T View Post
    ...Next time you go out to strip ivy out of one of the hedges please give me a shout
    Steve, I imagine that an orderly (?) queue is forming at this very moment!

Don