Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

He111 tail fin: displayed at IWM Duxford

Article about: This one was recovered in Norway back in the 1970's. I love this exhibit and always make a point of looking at it everytime I visit the museum. It is such a striking item. Cheers, Ade.

Default Re: He111 tail fin: displayed at IWM Duxford

iwm scapped it
    what a waste!

Norway has a number of very-well preserved allied and axis aircraft wrecks. I remember seeing a picture of a Fiat - (early world war 2 french light tank) sitting on the side of the road.

not sure when or where the picture was taken through...

RockyW
    ?

Quote by uber_soldat View Post
    what a waste!

Norway has a number of very-well preserved allied and axis aircraft wrecks. I remember seeing a picture of a Fiat - (early world war 2 french light tank) sitting on the side of the road.

not sure when or where the picture was taken through...
    One of my favourite exhibits too, the ultimate find but I am horrified to think the rest of the plane was scrapped.

Here are some others, not sure where they all are but at least one is the Duxford exhibit:

Rocky
    WARSTUFF.com
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture He111 tail fin: displayed at IWM Duxford   He111 tail fin: displayed at IWM Duxford  

He111 tail fin: displayed at IWM Duxford   He111 tail fin: displayed at IWM Duxford  

He111 tail fin: displayed at IWM Duxford   He111 tail fin: displayed at IWM Duxford  

very near to where I live,the iwm had 2bunkers that they stored excess militeria that had been given to them.one day theysorted the items out what they did not want they buried in 2 pits.this story came from a security guard there.and its still there.

RockyW
    ?

Quote by harryamb2 View Post
    very near to where I live,the iwm had 2bunkers that they stored excess militeria that had been given to them.one day theysorted the items out what they did not want they buried in 2 pits.this story came from a security guard there.and its still there.
    Have you been tempted to run your metal detector over the sites?!

My Sqn still has a lot of artifacts in the T bar and a little room especialy for memrobilia. When I was on XXV Sqn they had props and skins from a number of A/C shot down by the air crew. I'll see if I can get in for some photo's.

I too always look forward to going to Duxford, I went last year to see the Big group of Spitfires

Don't recall seeing this Tail Fin though

Just read this thread about the scrapped aircraft - the AWM are guilty of something similar I believe, they acquired an intact/airworthy Betty Bomber from PNG straight after the war that apparently was the last aircraft to bomb Australia. They ran out of room for storage so they scrapped it ( in the 60's or 70's ?)Funny how even museum folk can commit such atrocities!

Only intact tailfins here in Norway these days are probably either in museums, private collections or under water. Here's the site of a downed HE 111 I visited 5 years ago... not much left. At the very top of the mountain, a bit further up, I actually found the single flaregun cartridge fired right after the crash landing back in 1941... still laying there above ground, 70 years after. Would love to scuba some of the underwater wrecks some day, they're all over the place here.

He111 tail fin: displayed at IWM DuxfordHe111 tail fin: displayed at IWM Duxford

As a related aside I also remember checking out the Fw 200 Condor wreck that was recovered in my hometown, right after it had plummeted down to the barge underneath.

https://www.dlbs.de/en/Projects/Focke-Wulf-Condor/

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2