Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

Heinkel He-162A "M23" Volksjäger - Up for Auction Today

Article about: Heinkel He-162 A „M23“ Volksjäger - Up for Auction Today. Auction house Andreas Thies EK has a top draw military auction today 2 February 2013 one of the highlights is this Heinkel He-162. w

?

Default Heinkel He-162A "M23" Volksjäger - Up for Auction Today

Heinkel He-162 A „M23“ Volksjäger - Up for Auction Today. Auction house Andreas Thies EK has a top draw military auction today 2 February 2013 one of the highlights is this Heinkel He-162. whose biography is as follows –

“Built by Heinkel –Sud in January 1945 in Austria. Passed by salamander test pilot Gerhard Gleuwitz who gave it "M23" code. 31st March 1945 flown from base to avoid the approaching red army to Lechfeld, Bavaria where the Jagdverband JV44 was stationed, undertook some flights. At the war’s end the M23 was at the airport Munich- Riem. Discovered by American soldiers, who systematically plundered it, removed the jet engine, then set it alight and buried it in a bomb crater. In the 1990’s it was rediscovered, the original recovered parts form the foundation and pattern of the rebuilt plane, in addition original Heinkel aircraft parts came from various collections. The restoration started 2007 and took five years. The cockpit was rebuilt according to original drawings, instruments are original as are parts of the struts, armour plating, radio’s, rudder, pedals, flaps, etc the ejection seat is a replication, a whole host of parts are partly original. The plane is not armed, although they have machine guns available”. There’s a immense amount of technical detail in the biography. The auction start price is 170000 Euro, most probably out of the reach of most private collectors, possibly end up in a air museum somewhere in Europe or America. I’ll be interested to see if it goes, after all, no where do they say what percentage % of the plane is original or original Heinkel parts, when you don't know, its a lot to ask, they are maybe pitching the price too high
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Heinkel He-162A "M23" Volksjäger - Up for Auction Today  

Default Re: Heinkel He-162A "M23" Volksjäger - Up for Auction Today

Doesn't sound as though any original parts would have survived in any usable condition-it was mostly wood and that doesn't like being burnt and left to the elements for 40 years...

Hmmm, basically a replica with a few real parts, 170,000 Euros? i'll pass on that!...

Of course there aren't squadrons of the things just sitting about the place waiting to become knick knacks for the coffee table (although I've heard there are many buried in crates in Burma waiting to be uncovered).

?

An interesting read. Thanks.

Not many original parts for that price IMO. Its not like its the most sexy or desirable WWII plane either (too late for any track record of note), not that there are many of them about.

I seem to remember, that the EWM had a SALAMANDER at one time.....

Quote by lithgow View Post
    Of course there aren't squadrons of the things just sitting about the place waiting to become knick knacks for the coffee table (although I've heard there are many buried in crates in Burma waiting to be uncovered).
    I know of a giant underground cave in the Aleutians with halftracks, thousands of mint Garands and planes. Just needs some investors......how about it, guys?.....

In FRance, we have one, look the inside, please play with the mouse to have the sight in full screen.
    Heinkel He 162 A-2 Spatz> Musée de l'Air et de l'Espace - Site officiel

Cheers lebus, very interesting link!...

thanks lebus.

?

I've just read the plane didn't get sold. Probably no bid met the start price.