Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

High ground wreck aircraft parts wanted

Article about: Does anyone have any high ground parts from UK sites they would sell or exchange? I am setting up a museum display and am on the lookout for more items. My email is: elliott1940 at yahoo.com

Default High ground wreck aircraft parts wanted

Does anyone have any high ground parts from UK sites they would sell or exchange? I am setting up a museum display and am on the lookout for more items.

My email is: elliott1940 at yahoo.com

Thanks in advance

what are "high ground" parts?

Quote by brataccas View Post
    what are "high ground" parts?
    There's loads in your neck of the woods, practically every mountain and hill range has it's share of WW2 wrecks.

For example:

Aircraft Wreckage Sites in the Scottish Mountains | www.edwardboyle.com/drupal

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Is encouraging this type of thing a good idea I wonder ?

As it makes clear on the website

" It should of course be noted that removing pieces of wreckage from any of these sites without good reason (e.g. as trophies or souvenirs) is a deeply irresponsible thing to do - and it could be illegal. The Protection of Military Remains Act 1986 forbids tampering with military wreckage (although this act seems primarily designed for maritime wrecks). These sites are also almost certainly 'cultural heritage' sites described in the Land Reform (Scotland) Act 2003, which explicitly states that removal of objects from these sites is forbidden. "

Quote by HistoryMan View Post
    Is encouraging this type of thing a good idea I wonder ?

As it makes clear on the website

" It should of course be noted that removing pieces of wreckage from any of these sites without good reason (e.g. as trophies or souvenirs) is a deeply irresponsible thing to do - and it could be illegal. The Protection of Military Remains Act 1986 forbids tampering with military wreckage (although this act seems primarily designed for maritime wrecks). These sites are also almost certainly 'cultural heritage' sites described in the Land Reform (Scotland) Act 2003, which explicitly states that removal of objects from these sites is forbidden. "
    I'm not encouraging or condoning the robbing of crash sites or any illegal activity for that matter, you're talking to Ned here. All I'm doing is enlightening Brataccas to what "high ground" parts are. Afterall, he has an interest himself in finding parts of aircraft wreckage from the coastal beaches around where he comes from.

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

The aim is to locate parts that have been taken off the hills over the years and are sitting forgotten in peoples sheds and garages. No one is encouraging any unauthorised removal of parts.

Parts left exposed to the elements are steadily deteriorating and will not last forever. I have some items brought off the hills in the 1970s. They still have the paint on them, in contrast to what is slowly corroding away today.