Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Identifying some parts of Boeing B-17 aircraft

Article about: Hey to all you military experts! First I have to say I'm so happy to discovered that nice and full of interesting data forum. I think and hope you could help mi with identifying some of the

?

Default Identifying some parts of Boeing B-17 aircraft

Hey to all you military experts!

First I have to say I'm so happy to discovered that nice and full of interesting data forum.

I think and hope you could help mi with identifying some of the parts of Boeing aircraft B-17 that was crashed in Slovenia (ex Yugoslavia, EU) in year 1944.

I've found it on the crash scene recently.

See attached pictures.

I'm also asking how to best preserve that items? I'm also a little afraid of that bullets that I've found because there can't be seen colour of a tips any more.... :/ Could it be some of theme blue (INCENDIARY) or red (TRACER) and could explode while cleaning them?!

There are some recognised letters/numbers on some parts:

on 3: WITTEK MFG. CO. CHICAGO USA FB – 6
    on 1: 210468 A RH
    on 2: „....OMETE...“ „....CAMERA“ (it's from aluminium)
    b1 is not in good condition
    b2 has "hollow" "head" from inner part
    b3 is cracked and part from lower inside part is felt out. (see on the pictures bellow bullet)

I'll be VERY VERY GRATEFULLY if someone could tell me from which part of a plane are parts that I've found it and answer me on the other questions (bullets, preservation).
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Identifying some parts of Boeing B-17 aircraft   Identifying some parts of Boeing B-17 aircraft  

Identifying some parts of Boeing B-17 aircraft   Identifying some parts of Boeing B-17 aircraft  

Identifying some parts of Boeing B-17 aircraft   Identifying some parts of Boeing B-17 aircraft  

The piece with the threaded thumb screw is a hose clamp

?

Hey, divcorodder, tnx for your answer, I know that it is clamp, I was hoping that someone could give me hint what was clamp with it.... Thank you for your respond anyway! I'we already investigated some of that about that clamp: Engine Mount Clamp Dataplate 'Wittek Mfg. Co. Chicago USA Pat 2278386' and Patent US2278337 - Clamp - Google Patenti

?

Part 14 is possibly part of a parachute pack, part 16 could be a piece of armour from a flak jacket but looks a bit too big. What size is it?

?

Hey, Ian, thank you A LOT. Do you maybe have some picture of parachute from which can be seen from which part is 14? Part 16 are 5cm x 5cm and is little concave.... Do you also know of some picture of that flat jacket to see how should it look?
    Best regards, and tnx again!!

I have the exact same clamp from a usaaf airbase site which only flew B-17 bombers but I don't know either what exactly it was made to clamp and will watch your post for more responses - excellent post thanks

?

I have some bits too from a B-17 I went through that was crashed in the jungle in Vanuatu.
    I have a hose clamp too!! Maybe water hose for cooling?

WWII relics dive. Tanks, Jeeps, Trucks.