Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Junkers 88 A-5 Engine

Article about: Engine and various parts of a Junkers 88 that crashed at Pulford near Chester. All the crew died after being hit by Flak over Liverpool. When you see close up, the damage done to the Engine,

Default Junkers 88 A-5 Engine

Engine and various parts of a Junkers 88 that crashed at Pulford near Chester.

All the crew died after being hit by Flak over Liverpool.

When you see close up, the damage done to the Engine, you still can't imagine the sheer violence, when it hit the ground.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Junkers 88 A-5 Engine   Junkers 88 A-5 Engine  

Junkers 88 A-5 Engine  

Do the tappets and an oil change it'll be as good as new!..

Interesting, never knew about that
    Do they have any more information on this this? Its only 1.5 mile from where I live, maybe worth investigating sometime

It was possibly helped along by the AA Battery in Lower Kinnerton not far from Pulford where my father was born, my grandfather was ARP Warden at the time, he had many tales of hearing the guns going off while he was doing his patrol up and down the nearby railway, apparently he had to check the local railway also
    Cheers

Just for interest sake, there is an interesting old ww2 airfield site not far from Pulford, its not well known, RAF Poulton. It was an OTU/ TEU for Hurricanes mid to late war. Its part of the Duke of Westminster's Estate and is located just south of Eaton Hall, its visible on Google Maps to this day
    I have only visited once years ago as a child, my Uncle used to work on the Dukes Estate

Cheers

I'm not sure if they have mate, they're renovating the rooms, one by one.

Although it is open, it's dark and the relics are in a unlit room.

My GrandFather also was a A.R.P Warden in Liverpool during the Blitz and told me some really sad and horrific stories.

Quote by Panzerheld View Post
    I'm not sure if they have mate, they're renovating the rooms, one by one.

Although it is open, it's dark and the relics are in a unlit room.

My GrandFather also was a A.R.P Warden in Liverpool during the Blitz and told me some really sad and horrific stories.
    Not to worry mate, have to do some research when I return from Malta, off there tomorrow.
    Yes, Liverpool took a pounding I know, my great grandmother was from Liverpool. Must have been a very unpleasant job at times
    My grandfather on my fathers side was originally a Fireman/Stoker and then became Freight Manager at Chester station so had a reserved occupation
    He was also ARP Warden for Kinnerton/Lower Kinnerton where he lived just over the border in North Wales. He had to walk the railway line to Chester to make sure it was never damaged I am told. The AA Battery was not far from the railway, he used to call in for hot drinks on many occasions !
    The Battery was probably located there to protect Wrexham and also the nearby Wellington Bomber factory from Luftwaffe attacks

Cheers