Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Late war ME109G crash relics

Article about: A couple of years back I bought a group of relics from a Messerschmitt BF109G from member ‘Asperious’ but one thing led to another and I never showed them to the forum. Meantime though, I di

Fascinating bits from an abrupt end to a young man's war. At that stage late in the war,with the intense need for serviceable pilots I can only wonder what his previous wounds were that he still was pressured into going up and flying in spite of them. Certainly, they could not have been healed yet. They may even have factored into his final mission's failure. From the looks of the oil valve, it is understandable why there was only a hand in the coffin. (I find myself perversely wondering what the ring looked like...a wedding ring?)
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

I sent a pm to Scott asking him if he could add more to the story. I'll add all of my reference sources for the facts i found.
    Cheers all,
    Dan
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

nice post Dan.

Some of my sources for the information stated earlier about the pilot.

Loss List for JG300 (1944 )
    Jagdgeschwader 300 "Wilden Sau" | Verlustliste 1944 | Verlustliste JG300 (1944)

Discussion board on the combat of 27 July 1944
    The II./JG 300 on 27 July, 1944 [Archive] - Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum

Compiled archive of known Luftwaffe pilots
    Kracker Luftwaffe Archive

Cheers, Dan

Nice items and an interesting history.

Regards Mike

Great thread Dan

So Scott Marchand ( Asterperious ) got back to me.

Scott is the Director of collections and Aircraft Restoration at the PIMA Air & Space museum in Tuscon Arizona...... whew!!!
    check out their website - Pima Air & Space Museum : Tucson, Arizona

Anyway, this is what he could add....."As far as any other information I can't help much. The parts were given to me by one of the guys in Germany we contract for aircraft sub assembly restoration work. He acquires parts for the jobs he does from the network of European crash site excavators. These were recovered from a known crash site that was recovered during the war and this is the smaller debris that is typically left behind in clean up. the area was wet clay type soil from what he told me."

Well, that must explain the good condition of many of the remains of Karl-Heinz Schöffmann's ME-109

Cheers, Dan

?

Love the items you posted Dan!
    "It's not whether you get knocked down...It's whether you get up"

My Collection: www.tothehiltmilitaria.com

Hi Danmark. I really liked your post, specifically the details and history regarding both the pilot and the aircraft itself. I am trying to identify an aircraft and then (hopefully) ultimately the crew piloting it. I have a piece similar to yours but complete with its surrounding metal work. Here is a picture. Do you know if this is fitted to several planes or is it very specific? I have many pieces from this German aircraft, hopefully enough for correct identification at last. Members on this forum firstly assumed a single seater fighter, most likely an ME109 from the cockpit light and other parts, but since this I have now located 3 of these lights in total and parts pointing to a multiple engined/multiple crewed aircraft. I will start a thread with some pics of the parts in the next few days when I have photographed everything and hopefully someone here might be able to assint in the identification. Thank you for the inspiration from your thread. Lovely items, by the way.
    Kind regards, Francis.Late war ME109G crash relicsLate war ME109G crash relicsLate war ME109G crash relics

Awesome post. I was hooled from the first paragraph. Also, as Wagriff stated, I was wondering about that ring too? I'm assuming it identified the pilot, hopefully the family has it in remembrance of the young man.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast