Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

LOADS of BIG finds at WW2 airfield, bomb containers? explosive crates etc

Article about: Cut the game keepers some slack guys.People will happily poach game and some game keepers have recieved right royal kickings by poachers.

Default LOADS of BIG finds at WW2 airfield, bomb containers? explosive crates etc

explored an area of an abandoned airfield where ive never ever been to, there was a forest and found a fuel dump and here there is loads of relics, ammo crates, explosive crates and I think I found aircraft bomb containers too but no idea. Need assistance with identifying what the bomb containers housed and what was stored in the explosive crates, will post the photos by sections as theres quite a few

any help would be appreciated

1st set: weird rusty things that looks weird, 2 of them plus a weird rusty other thing which I had to dig up to reveal, very curious what these big plate things are, anyone? Also underneath that was a metal box which reads: "7 12D/1271 ..OT 62CY-10-65 55 LB a bomb box?

more pics to come....
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture LOADS of BIG finds at WW2 airfield, bomb containers? explosive crates etc   LOADS of BIG finds at WW2 airfield, bomb containers? explosive crates etc  

LOADS of BIG finds at WW2 airfield, bomb containers? explosive crates etc   LOADS of BIG finds at WW2 airfield, bomb containers? explosive crates etc  

LOADS of BIG finds at WW2 airfield, bomb containers? explosive crates etc   LOADS of BIG finds at WW2 airfield, bomb containers? explosive crates etc  

Default Re: LOADS of BIG finds at WW2 airfield, bomb containers? explosive crates etc

The things made of the the box section and steel plate are the bottom of pallets, they're used by the MOD for storage of rubbish, stores etc. Pretty much whatever they want. As for the ammunition box, it looks to be modern one. Nothing here appears to be WW2. Are you sure this location is no longer used? The fact theres barbed wire still there seems a little odd as places like this are usually well cleared if its purpose as a training area ends.

Thanks

Danny

Default Re: LOADS of BIG finds at WW2 airfield, bomb containers? explosive crates etc

I think the sheep didnt liked very much that you were poking around in their garden
    Cheers.
    Nuno

As Danny said the the box section and steel plate are pallet bottoms used for lots of different things not just MOD but all kinds of industry use them and the ammo box looks modern to me but you may like to have it as a start for a collection. It will be old one day

picture set 2: appears to be a fuel dump(?) and found big containers within them which assuming are aircraft bomb containers? also assuming these aren't WW2 era, what was stored in these HUGE containers? lots of serials, on the front or side? it says "MT TT AIDS" some yellow writing on the side that says "HEL 3/73" and on the lid (that is locked) it says cant read it too well as its faded but I guess it says "A376 MK1 00.T? 1968" and below it looks like "BLT T" dunno then on the other side of lid it says something like "AIL BOM(missing a B for BOMB????) then under "A/C NO117 MARK 5" and under that same side it says "REF NO 12 / ??? then all these numbers then looks what appears to be a date and year, again dunno...
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture LOADS of BIG finds at WW2 airfield, bomb containers? explosive crates etc   LOADS of BIG finds at WW2 airfield, bomb containers? explosive crates etc  

LOADS of BIG finds at WW2 airfield, bomb containers? explosive crates etc  
    Last edited by brataccas; 05-05-2011 at 10:36 PM.

Im sorry mate i dont see anything like that! Am i not seeing something you can? repost the exact photo you mean.
    Andy

Quote by 381st digger View Post
    Im sorry mate i dont see anything like that! Am i not seeing something you can? repost the exact photo you mean.
    Andy
    I hadn't uploaded the pics yet have a look again, they are there now:

next up is the wooden explosive crates I found, what used to be in these?

finally some other things I need help with, a green painted device thing with two handles to rotate something, air raid siren? or? also an odd thing (found in the forest part) that looks like a model rocket, its a blue can thing with 3 wooden supports built onto it. a hole cut out the bottom and a boingy spring attached, what on earth is it used for?? also found a tyre with a serial, is this an aircraft tyre? "650 - 10" also near that tyre an engine piece? from an aircraft?? or car? was half dug in the sand. if requested I can take some clearer shots of it when I clean it up more.

thanks

?

Hi

MT TT Aids

Probably stands for Motor transport Trade Training Aids

old equipment used to teach people how to loads lorries etc

The pallet bottom usually had wire metal sides

Cheers

Perce

The "Blue Model rocket" is a game bird feeder feed goes in the hole in the top and they peck at the spring at the bottom to get the feed out

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast