Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

LOADS of BIG finds at WW2 airfield, bomb containers? explosive crates etc

Article about: Cut the game keepers some slack guys.People will happily poach game and some game keepers have recieved right royal kickings by poachers.

taliesin
    ?

Default Re: LOADS of BIG finds at WW2 airfield, bomb containers? explosive crates etc

The green thing could be a base + winch for a flagpole or radio antenna ?

?

Default Re: LOADS of BIG finds at WW2 airfield, bomb containers? explosive crates etc

Quote by rockape View Post
    The "Blue Model rocket" is a game bird feeder feed goes in the hole in the top and they peck at the spring at the bottom to get the feed out
    Yep pheasant feeder which suggests someone still owns this land !!
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

?

The area that you are in is part of the old bomb dump.The big boxes were for storing bomb tail units but they came from Lossiemouth,The area was used by 2622 sqn RAF Regiment for training and the dump is at the end of the runway up towards the woods.The used the bomb boxes as support for the bunkers they used to make.The Mod still use the area as a signals base but some areas have been returned to Innes Estates so thats why the pheasant feeders are there.

As mentioned the big boxes are No.117 tail unit boxs. The 117 is the retarding tail unit used on the British 1000lb MC bomb. The smaller crates are for signal carts/bird scaring carts and other similar pyros. That blue pheasant feeder made me laugh but I suppose if youve never seen one before, you could believe its anything.

If the area has a Pheasant feeder like the one shown, it will also have a gamekeeper. These are notoriously bad tempered, foul mouthed, aggressive and they also carry shotguns and/or quite big dogs. Be careful out there ! Make sure you have permission to be on the land or the GK will have your nads !

Most of the stuff looks modern I'm afraid. The wooden crates appear to be dated 1971. Most of the other stuff is made of material that wasn't invented until after WW2.

Keep looking though. I'm sure there's WW2 stuff out there.

Steve T

Quote by Steve T View Post
    If the area has a Pheasant feeder like the one shown, it will also have a gamekeeper. These are notoriously bad tempered, foul mouthed, aggressive and they also carry shotguns and/or quite big dogs. Be careful out there ! Make sure you have permission to be on the land or the GK will have your nads !

Steve T
    Ha Ha i was a gamekeeper for 4 years. And your spot on!!!!!!!

?

Quote by 381st digger View Post
    Ha Ha i was a gamekeeper for 4 years. And your spot on!!!!!!!
    Me too! And still involved on a part time basis. I'll never be able to fill another feeder up again without thinking of a 'blue rocket'!

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

Quote by Adrian View Post
    Me too! And still involved on a part time basis. I'll never be able to fill another feeder up again without thinking of a 'blue rocket'!
    I'll join the club I'veput together a few of the "blue rockets"for use by the gamekeepers (one of whom is my grandad) up the Glen Clova area I agree with the bad tempered part to a certain degree too

Thanks

Danny

***Makes a note***

***381st Digger, Adrian and Gasmasksuk are ex/current GKs. DON'T annoy them***

Steve T

?

Me too i'm afraid !! It wasn't agood idea to be caught in the woods by some of the Game keepers i knew , tying people to trees for awhile was a method used by one to discourage the poachers etc !!
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast