Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

Loyd Carrier

Article about: Hi All, My mate eddy has been on this forum for a while but I normally frequent HMVF. I am in the process of restoring a 1944 Loyd Carrier recovered from a firing range in Belgium. Loyds are

ajmac
    ?

Default Loyd Carrier

Hi All,
    My mate eddy has been on this forum for a while but I normally frequent HMVF. I am in the process of restoring a 1944 Loyd Carrier recovered from a firing range in Belgium. Loyds are rather hard to come by but since getting the wrecks (I brought two) back the England all sorts of Loyd bits have popped up. If anyone has seen a Loyd in the UK, let me know. A friend is restoring an early Loyd in Holland at the moment and after a good chat we could only come up with one example, the one at Duxford.... here is a photo of mine, and one of the Duxford Loyd so you know what they look like. The photo was taken back in July, the chassis is stripped now and the vehicle is being rebuilt using a mint wartime chassis which I located in Cambridge.

Thanks
    Alastair

PS. The Blog is on HMVF.
    Restoration Loyd Carrier
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Loyd Carrier   Loyd Carrier  

Default Re: Loyd Carrier

Hi Alastair, welcome to the forum!

Good luck with your project. They are a great looking vehicle, and as you say, pretty rare.

Cheers, Ade.

ajmac
    ?

Thanks Ade,
    Thought I should ask if anyone has any 1960/70/80s photos from Elsenborn Range in Belgium, apparently the Loyds were driven on to the range once they had been stricken from the army reserve in the late 60s, they then sat there slowly rusting and being shot and taking artilliery hits until they ware recovered in 2008.

Although they look very battered everything above the track was only made from 2mm mild steel sheet so even on a well preserved example most of it needs remanufacturing anyway! I am looking for some brake drums and fuel tanks if anyone knows a farmer with some, wheels and bogies too.

Last year I found a Loyd in mint unrestroed condition in Nottinghamshire, but the owner has it for it's farming history, it was converted into a plough puller post war.

hi alastair
    good to see you on warrelics, there's plenty of guys on here from all over the world which is handy for a bit of research when it comes to foreign vehicles so someone might be able to come up with a bit more info on the loyd during belgian service , i have to say though that you are the only guy i know that would take on a project as far gone as the loyd's and the fact that you chose to have a go at saving them from the cutting torch is something that has earned my admiration and as you know i'll help you anyway i can.

all the best

eddy