Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Lying on the surface

Article about: Found on top of the ground, so not really dug, on site of ww2 airfield at Stoke Orchard, Gloucestershire. Any suggestions/

OKW
    ?

Default Lying on the surface

Found on top of the ground, so not really dug, on site of ww2 airfield at Stoke Orchard, Gloucestershire. Any suggestions/
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Lying on the surface   Lying on the surface  

Default Re: Lying on the surface

Looks like the top of a flare gun cartridge. The body could be card board and has rotted? Like a big shotgun cart really.

Regards

Jock

OKW
    ?

Thanks for the reply, i thought a flare or small aa gun. There is a tight coil of something wound up inside the brass part and i wondered if this was some form of cordite? The primer has been struck so possibly a misfire?

It looks just like all the 12 ga. shotgun shells I have dug up. I have a jar full. They were paper shells that rotted away. What's left is just the brass and paper hull.

?

Looks like a flare ctg. it`s about 40mm across the base so too big for a shotgun shell?
    JEDEM DAS SEINE

Quote by zwerge View Post
    Looks like a flare ctg. it`s about 40mm across the base so too big for a shotgun shell?
    I didn't say it was a shotgun shell. It seemingly appears to be made the same.

Is their any markings on the bottom which might show up better if you gave it a clean?

Thanks

Danny

OKW
    ?

None that i can see, the brass casing is quite fragile and a piece fell off the side.

Hi OKW,

This is the remains of a 1 1/2" flare cartridge. Note the scalloped rim for ease of removal. The actual case would have been waxed carboard. The coiled remnants of some wadding is still in the base.

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

OKW
    ?

Another mystery solved, thanks.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast